S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Self Alignment

Old 01-30-2014, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cujet
Originally Posted by SouthDakotaS2K' timestamp='1391089117' post='22990471
There's no doubt you can use those diy products to set toe and maybe camber, but a good alignment is much more than that. Not to mention you could spend several hours attempting to get it into spec while most alignment shops will have it knocked out in less than an hour. Your time is worth something too right? Plus you get a print out with most alignments so you know it's in spec.
Interestingly, you can take that "pro" shop alignment printout, and measure everything yourself and often get different numbers. In fact, you may even notice that the LH and RH numbers don't match! I don't put all that much faith in many local shops. The equipment may be out of calibration, the tech may not account for a slightly tweaked rim (remember that a rim/bearing/hub assy that is out 1/16th of an inch will greatly affect the outcome) And, these are all things the DIY guy can deal with. Often by simple knowledge of his car.

A quick and dirty way to get a more accurate DIY "trackside" alignment is to place newspapers under each tire. This allows you to turn the wheels for caster measurement with relative ease and very little friction. A better way may be to use 2 plates of sheet metal with grease between them (grease plates) under each tire.

There is no question that a full and complete alignment can be done with great accuracy using the parallel bars I suggested, along with a quality camber gauge. One can even take wheelbase measurements and set the dimensions with accuracy. Something that is generally ignored by most shops.

It does take quite a bit of initial setup time to get it right, and on cars like the S, it's not so easy to work underneath without knocking the bars. However, the advantage of using bars is that you can configure the bars and car to each-other for rapid repeatability. You can do this by using a centering link, front and rear. Or by hard points to measure from.
Good machines do all that for the tech. The laser machines take accurate measurements from each head to corresponding heads. A good tech can instantly identify problems without question with precision less than 1/16". They also have a calibration feature that automatically measures wheel run-out during setup. Not to mention the lift itself is actually one of the most important parts of the machine. They are set up perfectly level and have built in slip plates to allow the suspension to change with adjustments. Most diys get that wrong. You cannot just make adjustments and measure. You have to make the adjustments then drive the car then remeasure without jacking or altering the car. I personally have done it both ways and I know a good bubble setup and parallel bars can work, but I recognize that the laser system is far superior and overall quicker.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:55 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

With the car on its wheels and not over a pit / on a lift: how would you reach the alignment bolts?
Old 01-31-2014, 03:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SpitfireS
With the car on its wheels and not over a pit / on a lift: how would you reach the alignment bolts?
On the S, it's about impossible. And, that is the one reason why a DIY alignment will take some time to achieve.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:18 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

IMO: when you make sure the alignment bolts are not seized in their bushings in any way the alignment will hold for a while.
Providing you do not hit anything.

One before last time I had it aligned by someone calling himself a "Werkstatt Meister"
(after replacing a rear knuckle myself to replace a rear bearing I have no tools for.. long story)
Anyway...
After close to an hour he came back, sweat on his forehead, saying the settings I asked for were impossible.
He also said it was impossible anyway as all the values changed when he turned just one bolt.
Yeah... he was clearly a Meister.

So, back to my known alignment guy, it took a 500km drive to get there.
Finished in 20 minutes, at my spec, no worries.
That was on a laser machine, it took longer to mount the sensors (or the reflecting plates) and to let the computer do its thing than it took to actually turn bolts to align it.

Oh well...