S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Seized Camber Bolt On Control Arm | Help

Old 10-25-2018, 05:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Seized Camber Bolt On Control Arm | Help

Hey Everyone. Hoping you can help me out and potentially save me time and a future headache. While getting my car aligned at Firestone, the technician was unable to adjust the camber on my car due to a seized bolt. As a precautionary measure, they suggested I order the bolt and as a worst case scenario, order a new control arm just in case the bushing comes out with it.

My question is, can i just order a new bushing from Honda? How likely is this to happen? Do I order an aftermarket control arm? I'm a little out of pocket in knowledge and would love some guidance on what you would do in my situation.

Car: 2004 Honda S2000 Stock and 106k miles

Thank you!
Old 10-25-2018, 05:15 AM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

You can't buy just the bushing from Honda. Like most manufacturers, they only sell the whole control arm, which ain't cheap.

You can however buy a set of compliance bushings made by spoon or mugen. You need to press out the old bushing, and press in the new one. A lot of guys remove the arm, and bring it to a machine shop to have the new bushing pressed in.

Note that there is an alignment arrow on the bushing that must be set correctly. They have to pay attention to how they align that arrow. Mark where old one points before removing it. Then press new one in oriented the same way.

You will need to buy the cam bolt and cam washer from Honda. Make certain these parts are gooped up with antiseize before assembly, or else you'll have the same problem all over again. Not just on the threads, but the whole inner and outer sleeve of the cam bolt and inner sleeve of bushing.

The old parts need to be cut out. Its not fun. Went through this recently on two other non Honda vehicles, so its a pervasive issue. They should be lubing these parts at the factory, and they are not.

This is one the rare problem areas on our cars that most any mechanic can do without worrying they will screw it up due to lack of S specific knowledge.
Old 10-25-2018, 05:20 AM

Received 480 Likes on 392 Posts

No you can't order the bushing from Honda. Mugen, Spoon, and Hardrace all make bushings for the control arms. The hardened rubber ones are reasonably priced. The camber bushing is rather beefy as is the bolt. I would try heat(torch the metal not the rubber) and a big ass hammer, or an air chisel to try to drive out the bolt. It usually comes out after whacking it unlike the caster bolt which is inside a much softer bushing(that one you usually end up cutting). Do not try to turn it, you're only stretching the bushing. Once you free it, use a thin layer of any all purpose grease to keep it from binding again.
Old 10-25-2018, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
You can't buy just the bushing from Honda. Like most manufacturers, they only sell the whole control arm, which ain't cheap.

You can however buy a set of compliance bushings made by spoon or mugen. You need to press out the old bushing, and press in the new one. A lot of guys remove the arm, and bring it to a machine shop to have the new bushing pressed in.

Note that there is an alignment arrow on the bushing that must be set correctly. They have to pay attention to how they align that arrow. Mark where old one points before removing it. Then press new one in oriented the same way.

You will need to buy the cam bolt and cam washer from Honda. Make certain these parts are gooped up with antiseize before assembly, or else you'll have the same problem all over again. Not just on the threads, but the whole inner and outer sleeve of the cam bolt and inner sleeve of bushing.

The old parts need to be cut out. Its not fun. Went through this recently on two other non Honda vehicles, so its a pervasive issue. They should be lubing these parts at the factory, and they are not.

This is one the rare problem areas on our cars that most any mechanic can do without worrying they will screw it up due to lack of S specific knowledge.
Caster bolt needs to be cut out, you can usually persuade the camber bolt out with some kind words you reserve for enemies and a big hammer.
Old 10-25-2018, 05:24 AM

Thanks guys. So best case is that this bolts gets removed, the bushing is fine and a new bolt is put in. If things go wrong, do you suggest i:

1. Purchase the Mugen Bushings and replace all? - am i looking at paying crazy labor for a Firestone shop to do this? - the reason i go to them is that they do my alignment (lifetime alignments)
2. Purchase an OEM Honda Control Arm?
3. Is there any confidence in an after market control arm?

Thanks again. This is great.
Old 10-25-2018, 05:38 AM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

A place like Firestone is probably going to insist on replacing the whole arm with a Honda one. They are a corporate shop, and usually only source parts from local vendors. An auto parts store. The dealer, etc. They aren't going to order it online from some performance parts vendor, and thy won't want the liability of letting you bring your own parts.

A local shop won't be as cautious about stuff like that. They are more likely to let you bring your own parts, especially if they are things they can't get locally.
Old 10-25-2018, 05:55 AM

Received 250 Likes on 147 Posts

I just did this about a year ago on my car because i had the same issue.

If you bring your bushings to a shop, expect them to charge you $1500-$2000 just to replace all the bushings. The Mugen bushings are expensive. I suggest you go with Hardrace if you actually end up doing it. Just the replacement hardware cost me about $120, but I did every bushing.

If it was me, I would just not worry about them adjusting the camber since your car is stock. I doubt its that far out of range. If one side is free have them match the camber to the other. Save the boatload of money. I only did it because mine is a track car that needed an accurate alignment.
Old 10-25-2018, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by roel03
I just did this about a year ago on my car because i had the same issue.

If you bring your bushings to a shop, expect them to charge you $1500-$2000 just to replace all the bushings. The Mugen bushings are expensive. I suggest you go with Hardrace if you actually end up doing it. Just the replacement hardware cost me about $120, but I did every bushing.

If it was me, I would just not worry about them adjusting the camber since your car is stock. I doubt its that far out of range. If one side is free have them match the camber to the other. Save the boatload of money. I only did it because mine is a track car that needed an accurate alignment.
Holy moly! definitely not changing out the bushings. I put about 1,000 miles on it this season lol. That's not a bad idea to match the camber.. The wheel is slightly off center when straight and it's bugging me.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Sk2Jon
Holy moly! definitely not changing out the bushings. I put about 1,000 miles on it this season lol. That's not a bad idea to match the camber.. The wheel is slightly off center when straight and it's bugging me.
That has more to do with rear alignment or toe in general than camber.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:50 AM

Received 1,377 Likes on 1,029 Posts

Cut the bolt out with a reciprocating saw. Insist that nobody use a torch on your car unless the next alternative is to throw the car in the dumpster.

Which control arm?

Yes, you need a new eccentric bolt, cam washer, and nut. Honda sells them. Try bernardiparts.com

Factory control arms are expensive. Aftermarket ones have junk bushings. Pick your poison on that one.

A good middle ground is to buy a used low mile control arm on eBay or something...obvious con for that method is that you won't know if its a POS until you get it.

Or you could buy bushings for your current LCA...but that's time consuming and expensive if you're paying labour.

Some anti-seize probably isn't a bad idea when the bolt goes back in...as long as the guy tightening the nut isn't going to be a gorilla about it.

Make sure they install the arm whilst keeping proper clocking of the bushings. Or you'll need new bushings in a month or so.

Quick Reply: Seized Camber Bolt On Control Arm | Help