S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Seems everytime I work on it, I pick up something new

Old 08-21-2013, 02:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seems everytime I work on it, I pick up something new

So Little overview, Bought the car with roughly 85000 miles on it.
owner had replaced the diff and there were a few woes here and there.

I Bought it , replaced the clutch plate etc at my local Honda Dealer and all seemed okay.

So firstly, current details:
2000 Ap1, 116000 miles / 184000km +-
K&N FIPK,
4.4 Final Drive,
Dastek UniQ (piggyback - Not Active, only signal modifier so relies on ECU changes for timing etc *You'll read why I mention this* )
Custom 76mm cat-back exhaust

When driving initially , I thought it was limited to 9k but I prefer shifting around 500 - 1000 RPM before limiter on all my Honda's (B16, CBR1000 & Ap1 S2k)
Looks like it hits limiter at 8200 which I'm quite okay with (Unless cluster is out?? ) No idea.

Service the car myself with Shell Helix Plus HX7 10w-30 (Same oil previous owner always ran) & Stock Honda OE Oil Filter replaced Spark plugs with stock PFR7G-11(can't remember if it was "s" or not)

Initial issue I have been having is this,
1.Start car and warm up as per normal, (up to 3 bars on Ap1 cluster) drive a few miles further and try plant it.

initially , it hits a brick wall and splutters when trying to engage and Throws a CEL .

when the oil is significantly hotter, it engages Vtec fairly smoothly at 70% throttle then misfires once or twice around 7k RPM and throws a CEL

When i've driven a good 20 miles near 6000 rpm and the oil is PIPING hot, i can hit Vtec and only throws a CEL now and then then EVENTUALLY i can hit Vtec with no issues the more I do it... but it still gives a bit of a jerk on engagement which i assume is just a tune issue.

Error Thrown P1367 5 - 8 --------------- TOP DEAD CENTRE POSITION 2 (TDC2) SENSOR

Checked resistance in both Sensors TDC 1 & 2 , all good.. Swapped sensors around to see if the error changes to TDC 1 (Trial and error fault finding) - Negative.. worked for a day or two and same error came back ... so it's not the sensors itself - wires don't look damaged, and plugs seem to hold on pretty snug still .

Issue number 2
Low RPM misfire/ dip.
I recently had to replace the O2 Sensor due to this misfire arising and CEL light which came on. knew the Secondary O2 Sensor was bad and when pulling it off, the whole tip had broken off..

I Checked S2Ki, and used the Denso Unit suggested somewhere on s2ki for AP1 but it seems the honeycomb from Cat is a little loose.. anyways.. CEL gone, but intermittant misfire at around 1500 RPM still there.

I did do an ECU reset, but might try that again with the whole 3k rpm hold for a minute or two etc.
Also recently did the TCT refurb (Thanks to Billman for the help) and stripped and cleaned the Vtec solenoid sieve which was pretty clean to begin with ...

Issue number 3
Trunk Centre brake light stopped working, I've read that the wiring harness on the ap1 was a little tight and often damaged the harness, My question is which harness ? the one running from the light into the trunk, down the left towards the fuel tank looks okay ... where in the trunk does it get damaged or fray ? Still searching around for some pics here and I think I might have seen a reference to it on Modifry ? ?? Not sure.

Issue number 4
Next one I found happening was that if I plugged anything into my 12v socket, my radio turns off.(Kind of the same as when you start your car and the power dips restarting the radio in the process? ) I have a sony Xplod Deck which initially didn't like the powered antenna plug (removed it and that worked fine) but now I can't run my 12v and my radio at the same time powered from standard harness)

Issue number 5
Latest addition , Trunk release from stock 3 button remote (like this one )

as well as button in glove compartment no longer opens trunk, I've read posts that say test the solenoid on it's own, I'm just curious as to whether this could be linked to issue number 3 and 4?? (Does it run on the same harness that the zip-tie is perhaps damaging further and further ? ) I've tried stripping out the carpets in the trunk and haven't seen anything looking frayed hence finally asking here for some further assistance.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:54 AM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

have you checked your plugs? clean/change map sensor and zip tie it, also could be your TPS. while you're at it tighten your throttle cable. check your coil packs as well.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by iamxpL
have you checked your plugs? clean/change map sensor and zip tie it, also could be your TPS. while you're at it tighten your throttle cable. check your coil packs as well.

When my O2 sensor first gave way , i had no CEL but had the misfire and bogging at low RPM .. Pulled out plugs (Very old and used) and compared them with another used plug with around 45000 miles on ..

and mine was the one on the left with no tip

replaced with new ... was reading about the zip tying of the sensors yesterday ...

My only question is..... why does it always throw the TDC2 error on the CEL?

Stepped out at lunch and took vids of the behaviour. *Note Johannesburg South Africa is 5500ft above sea level .. so it's substantially slower up here

Old 08-21-2013, 05:23 AM
Community Organizer

ok here is some stuff i found for ya.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/879...ng-is-off-tdc/

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/939...1-tdc-sensors/

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/101...or-position-b/
Old 08-21-2013, 05:42 AM

Thanks man , read through all of them .

One which tickled my fancy slightly was the one with the pics of the cams to check tdc.

My TCT was a little dodgey not too long ago which could result in a tooth being skipped... However most of the guys are saying that if the car starts and idles, it's fine.

will try pull off the vc one of these days and check it just for good measure. will keep looking..
Old 08-21-2013, 05:46 AM
Community Organizer

GL with your endeavor hopefully billman chimes in again.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, why is the Dastek UniQ on the car? and how do you know it is not the problem?
Old 08-21-2013, 07:26 AM

Problems 3 and 5 are probably from worn wiring in the trunk. My trunk release stopped working because of this, and I ended up following this DIY https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/946...ake-light-fix/

The 3 of the 4 wires on mine snapped clean through just past the hinge. I extended the wiring a few inches.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by realblag
So, why is the Dastek UniQ on the car? and how do you know it is not the problem?
Unfortunately access to any other piggyback systems in SA is quite limited. as well as tuners who can actually fiddle with anything better.. I know of one decent AEM runer in the country... there's a Turbo S2K running around here with a locked map on his that now no one can touch.
There are a select few but it's a mission to get right .. anyways.

I don't know if the UniQ is the problem or not... however i've been told that it does not advance or retard timing like the standalone management systems do and isn't at all manipulating the signals to / from those sensors.

other crap thing is that it's spliced into the ECU wires and not built with a harness jumper... so to test it i have to remove and join wires to the stock ecu, then re-do the whole installation if the UniQ isn't the problem. (I'd like to keep it for the de-cat on the way as well as the FIPK.
(On the other hand thinking of ripping it out and using it on my B20 civic ek build.

I'm planning on booking a re-tune seeing as the last time this one was tunes was over 2 years ago ... but trying to avoid booking a re-tune for a car that has faulty parts.. i'll end up being given the car back to sort out every time and having to book 10 re-tunes at 100$ a pop, hence trying to ironing out everything out first.

Originally Posted by shinigamiz
Problems 3 and 5 are probably from worn wiring in the trunk. My trunk release stopped working because of this, and I ended up following this DIY https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/946...ake-light-fix/

The 3 of the 4 wires on mine snapped clean through just past the hinge. I extended the wiring a few inches.
I'll be sure to check that out this weekend I had seen that post before when searching, the pic links weren't working at the time. That helped me a lot as well. thanks
Old 10-03-2013, 12:26 AM

Yaaaaay so many updates.

Issue number 1. TDC Errors Sorted.

removed the UniQ and everything was hundreds.. just needed a remap... however i'm liking it in stock form so i'm going to use the UniQ for my B20Vtec setup in my civic.

Issue number 2 - Not yet
Thinking that the broken o2 sensor and previous crap might have burnt the tips on the plug.. need to pull out and check the gap / spark ... it's only got a miss under 3k rpm but it's running like a bat out of hell up top .

Issue number 3 - Trunk Light
Common trunk wiring harness getting caught between the trunk lid and the spring literally cutting them in half... relocated the wires and joined.. working beautifully .

Issue number 4 - Still Unresolved...
will need to strip and check .. was thinking it might have been my headunit... might swap it out with my Pioneer one and see what happens.

Next one I found happening was that if I plugged anything into my 12v socket, my radio turns off.(Kind of the same as when you start your car and the power dips restarting the radio in the process? ) I have a sony Xplod Deck which initially didn't like the powered antenna plug (removed it and that worked fine) but now I can't run my 12v and my radio at the same time powered from standard harness)

Issue number 5 - Trunk Release - As per Issue 3 - Sorted .

Quick Reply: Seems everytime I work on it, I pick up something new