S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

secondary shaft bearing replacement

Old 04-20-2009, 05:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default secondary shaft bearing replacement

Ok so i have the cyclical bearing noise coming from my trans. I just replaced my diff thinking it was the prob and now that i've done more searching i have found that the noise is the secondary shaft bearing in my trans. i am thinking of attempting to replace this myself. i am not a spring chicken when it comes to reparing vehicles nor am i picasso. i have replaced my clutch myself and my diff. anything i should look out for. any input would be appreciated. ohh and here is a pic of what i am talking about. bearing 12,13,14.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Bugs2k,Apr 20 2009, 05:32 AM
Ok so i have the cyclical bearing noise coming from my trans. I just replaced my diff thinking it was the prob and now that i've done more searching i have found that the noise is the secondary shaft bearing in my trans. i am thinking of attempting to replace this myself. i am not a spring chicken when it comes to reparing vehicles nor am i picasso. i have replaced my clutch myself and my diff. anything i should look out for. any input would be appreciated. ohh and here is a pic of what i am talking about. bearing 12,13,14.
I did the same thing there are several threads here on this subject. IIRC you can remove the back half of the tranny and replace the bearings that way.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by oakfloor,Apr 20 2009, 10:43 AM
I did the same thing there are several threads here on this subject. IIRC you can remove the back half of the tranny and replace the bearings that way.
so i assume i can do this without removing trans from car???
i can just remove rear housing. take to shop and bearings replaced.?
Old 04-20-2009, 08:25 AM

Read through this thread. --> Gear box / transmission whining noise.., ****SOLVED WITH PICS!****

I have put on almost 50,000 miles since I swapped out my secondary shaft bearings.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:25 AM

THANK YOU!! I am going to do this next weekend.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same thing just happened to me yesterday.. Pulling up my driveway and into my garage I noticed a clunk, click, clunk noise coming from directly under my car when the car was free-wheeling with the clutch pushed in, or if the car was in neutral.. I was thinking, oh shit.. not the differential AGAIN... Couldn't be! So I had my brother do the same thing, pull the car up the driveway and turn into my garage bay... Heard the same noise, and it sounded like it was coming directly from underneat the center of the car.

Put it up all the way up on jackstands.. slide under the car, wiggled the driveshaft... Some extremely minor side-side play in the driveshaft itself.... And if the car is in gear, plus the e-brake pulled, it has about a thousandths rotational play/slop in the driveshaft itself, with both CV's on the transmission side and the differential side being held in place. After checking that, I started her up, slid her into 3rd gear, and slowly rolled off the clutch to let the rear wheels spin to see if I can isolate that sound again, this time IN GEAR, but without any resistance or load, with it being on the ground.. This would replicate the clicking/clunking noise as it did in my driveway when I coasted with it in either Neutral or the clutch pedal being pressed down. After trying this, using a 12" socket extension up to my ear as a make-shift stethescope, I isolated the clicking/clunking to the very end of the transmission, directly below the shifter assembly.. This would be the secondary shaft bearing area.

To further isolate the problem, I plan on putting the car back up today after I'm out of the office later (and no, I'm not driving it.. no worries.... I JUST started hearing this yesterday afternoon, and stopped driving it right then and there.)... Once the car is back up in the air, I'm going to drop the main propeller/drive shaft, to try doing the simulated roll-out again.. Putting the car into gear, and slowly letting out the clutch, to get the secondary shaft output drive to start spinning... If the noise is still prevalant in that area, then that's it... if not, then it could possibly be the driveshaft!??? I dunno.. but, I find this a little odd...

Anyone else have any insight on this????!! And can you replace those #12, 13, & 14 bearings on your own?? I have plenty of mechanical experience to drop that rear housing/cover on the transmission... it's just a matter of, if these bearings are press fit, or require any other special tools to do so?

Help!!!!!?

Thanks guys!
Old 05-05-2009, 04:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OH, and also.. I have NOT pulled off my center console cover yet, at this point.. but when driving at speed, there seems to be a slight whiiirrrring or deeper whine when the driveshaft is moving at high speed (above 30mph on the road)..

But I guess I'll go for a spin today and see if I can hear it better through that..

Question still... if all I'm reading up on this, from you guys, is that the only sounds that can determine if it's the bearing would be this whiiring or whining sound... what's this clunk/clink noise that's coming from this area (secondary shaft)?? Could it maybe just be a detonated bearing? The clunk/clink noise isn't heard WHATsoever when driving any faster than about 5mph... but, it is noticed when taking low speed (5mph-) corners... rolling forward or backwards when turning sharply (not in gear, depressed clutch)
Old 06-29-2017, 10:41 AM

Does the transmission have to be removed to do this. What exactly did you guys replace?
Old 07-02-2017, 09:48 AM

Anyone?