S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

second gear grind

Old 07-18-2005, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default second gear grind

i know its been posted before but i cant find it. if someone can help me on the topic or link me to the thread that was about it i'd appreciate it!

Andrew
Old 07-18-2005, 08:22 AM
VAD

Andrew. The more knowledgable guys who will respond will want to know the condition of your fluid, when it was changed last, your driving style, how many miles on the car, etc.

Are you having grinding problems or is this a general interest type question?

-Dave.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:49 PM

i have the grinding problem. its usually at a higher rpm shift and its random. not very constant at all. i heard it was a common problem and honda will fix it for you...

maybe im just crazy and making things up or maybe its real? haha please help...

also i bought the car used from a honda dealership with 52k miles on it about 2 months/3k miles ago. how often should i replace the trans fluid and wut fluid should i use?

thanx
Old 07-19-2005, 09:14 AM
VAD

Changing the fluid is the easiest thing to do. Use the Honda MTF, General Motors Synchromesh Friction Modified, or Royal Purple Synchromax (that's what I use). If that doesn't make the problem go away, then worry . But a fluid change is the best place to start. I'll be doing mine annually regardless of mileage. It's cheap and easy insurance.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:28 AM

Received 84 Likes on 63 Posts

I am having this problem with my 2003 S, I plan to take it to the dealer today (it's still in warranty). Have you learned anything new about this?? There is a TSB 00-055, but it's from June 2001, so I would think this would have been resolved by now.

See: SB 00-055
Old 08-05-2005, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by jeallen,Aug 5 2005, 06:28 AM
I am having this problem with my 2003 S, I plan to take it to the dealer today (it's still in warranty). Have you learned anything new about this?? There is a TSB 00-055, but it's from June 2001, so I would think this would have been resolved by now.

See: SB 00-055
Let us know what happend at the dealer, im interested. I have the same issue and would like to see what the dealer tells you.
Old 08-06-2005, 05:55 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Changing the fluid is the easiest and first thing I'd do.
I'd highly suggest Amsoil MTF. It's designed to replace Honda MTF, is a full synthetic and is designed with the friction modifier package required for vehicles using GMSMFM. Amsoil MTF is listed as a direct replacement for Honda MTF and GMSMFM (as for several others).

For the record ... while a couple of folks have had 'good luck' with Royal Purple - I'd stay away from it. RP's quality control is not the best and I've personally had a bad experience with their gear oil in another car.

My car suffered the 1-2 grind on a regular basis. My first transmission was rebuilt and then subsequently replaced by Honda. The key to getting Honda to fix your transmission (in addition to having a valid warranty) is to demonstrate the problem is repeatable to the Honda Techs at your local dealer. Honda will always attempt to rebuild the S2000 transmission before replacing it.
My replacement transmission from Honda was much better and only demonstrated the grind 2 or 3 times (more a 'scratch' than a grind though).
I ultimately bought an '04 transmission (from the Hard Top Guy) because the gear ratios in the
Old 08-10-2005, 04:50 PM

I agree. I have the 2nd to 3rd grind.

Yea speed shifting in my car doesn't work too well. I can speed shift from 1st to 2nd. 2nd to 3rd I shift a lot slower so it will give the engines revs to go down so it will match better to 3rd. I have had better success this way.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:25 PM

Received 84 Likes on 63 Posts

Not to leave everyone hanging.

The dealer was unable to reproduce and.. I have only ground once since it was in the shop. Anyhow the dealer says bring it back when I can show him what's going on. Stay tuned.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:57 AM

I've got a 2005 S2000 with about 4500 miles on it. Soon after leasing the car I found the notchiness that everyone complains about. I took it into the dealer and went for a ride with a tech who decided quickly that there was something wrong. They took the car for three days, replaced the synchros on 1st and 2nd (I think) and gave it back to me with the notchiness gone. Only problem was that it now wouldn't go into reverse without screwing around with the shift for 5 minutes. Kind of embarassing in a busy parking lot.

They took it back for another 3 days and now everything works well except for the the notchiness, which is worst when the tranny is cold...not surprisingly. This time they replaced first and second, as well as a number of the synchros.

So I'm now trying to figure out whether to put in GM Synchromesh FM, Royal Purple Synchromax or RedLine MTL. I'm leaning towards the GM at this point....does anyone think this is a bad idea?

Quick Reply: second gear grind