S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Second Gear Crunch

Old 09-24-2013, 06:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Second Gear Crunch

This is my very first forum and I need help looking for answers..

There's probably many threads out there but i wanna try to get some answers on my own also...

I have a 2004 Honda S2000 Ap2. Lately I've been noticing a crunchy if not grinding sound when shifting in to 2nd gear. This eventually goes away after 10-20 minutes of driving and the shifter feels buttery smooth. Anyone know what could be the cause of it or a way to fix it?

Additional info:
1. I live in northern USA in the New England area so it gets pretty cold during fall/winter. (its late September now)
2. I just recently changed transmission fluid a few days ago to Honda MTL (silver bottle green label)
3. Crunchy sound happens only when I'm moving and shifting to 2nd. When its parked, there are no issues
4. clutch is fully pressed to the floor
5. tried granny shifting (slow shifting)
6. tried double clutching (helps a little but doesn't always work)
7. Daily driven. Not track
8. currently 55k miles
Old 09-24-2013, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by flipboi4o1
This is my very first forum and I need help looking for answers..

There's probably many threads out there but i wanna try to get some answers on my own also...

I have a 2004 Honda S2000 Ap2. Lately I've been noticing a crunchy if not grinding sound when shifting in to 2nd gear. This eventually goes away after 10-20 minutes of driving and the shifter feels buttery smooth. Anyone know what could be the cause of it or a way to fix it?

Additional info:
1. I live in northern USA in the New England area so it gets pretty cold during fall/winter. (its late September now)
2. I just recently changed transmission fluid a few days ago to Honda MTL (silver bottle green label)
3. Crunchy sound happens only when I'm moving and shifting to 2nd. When its parked, there are no issues
4. clutch is fully pressed to the floor
5. tried granny shifting (slow shifting)
6. tried double clutching (helps a little but doesn't always work)
7. Daily driven. Not track
I have had the same issues and after getting gm synchromesh transmission fluid , my issues are no more , IMO its the only trans fluid I'd use in MY S .... big different from the HONDA MTL...don't know why but thats been my experience ...best of luck.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:40 AM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

change your clutch fluid. you might not be engaging fully. it takes 2 mins to do. change your trans fluid. warm the car up by driving lightly in gear. once warmed up try shifting higher up in the RPM. youll notice the car shifts much easier.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is a known issue with some S2000s. It usually occurs when the drivetrain is still cold (i.e. not up to operational temperature). A tranmission fluid change usually helps. The Honda MTF is actually pretty good - I have had only that in my car and it is has no issues. Change it often and you should be better. There is a TSB On the second gear grind as well, but it was for AP1s:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/275...into-2nd-gear/
Old 09-24-2013, 09:09 AM

I'll try changing my clutch fluid next. Is there any other possible causes for the crunch that I could possible look into? Hopefully there's nothing too serious.

Also, would a differential fluid help with this problem? I've heard good things about Amsoil severe gear 75w90 and 75w110 browsing the internet.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:11 AM

1. I feel your pain; almost didn't buy my S April 2010 b/c of it.
2. Tried the newer Honda MTF, seemed to help a little; tried GM Synchromesh next year, seemed to help a little more, went to Amsoil the next two years, seemed to be a little better.
3. Just for a change, I might try a mix of Honda MTF and Amsoil next time; I'm due next Spring.
4. It doesn't do it consistently, and not when I'm winding it out, but when "just driving."
Old 09-24-2013, 11:18 AM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

i personally use Amsoil for diff and trans. syncromesh for trans and severe gear 110 for the rear. change the clutch fluids first. if the viscosity of the fluid has gone done it will not properly work and engagement can be compromised. and it could just be due to the cold.also try looking into changing the bushings in the shifter. thats also another fix from what i remember. keep us posted
Old 09-24-2013, 11:59 AM

Received 1,338 Likes on 810 Posts

Proper clutch rod adjustment under the dash will help greatly.

DO NOT follow the book, just follow the guidelines here in the forum. Search zero freeplay.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flipboi4o1
I'll try changing my clutch fluid next. Is there any other possible causes for the crunch that I could possible look into? Hopefully there's nothing too serious.

Also, would a differential fluid help with this problem? I've heard good things about Amsoil severe gear 75w90 and 75w110 browsing the internet.

I use the Amsoil 5w30 synthetic MTF in my tranny and it solved any low temp grinding I had. amazing stuff....don't put 75w90 in the transmission its not designed for a heavier oil. However the diff will do good with the Amsoil SG 75w90. I use all Amsoil now from the motor back and im happy with Amsoil products..
Old 09-24-2013, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Speakeasy2009
Originally Posted by flipboi4o1' timestamp='1380042546' post='22794124

I use the Amsoil 5w30 synthetic MTF in my tranny and it solved any low temp grinding I had. amazing stuff....don't put 75w90 in the transmission its not designed for a heavier oil. However the diff will do good with the Amsoil SG 75w90. I use all Amsoil now from the motor back and im happy with Amsoil products..
Have you had any experience with Amsoil SG 75w110 on the diff?

Quick Reply: Second Gear Crunch