S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Second Comptech SC dyno tuning with ESM installed

Old 05-01-2003, 07:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also would it be best for me just to clear out my V-AFC settings to be on the safe side? Im guessing the Comptech kit will run safe without any fuel computer.
Old 05-01-2003, 08:48 AM

Originally posted by Reignman

The guy I went to this last time had done many NA S2000's and a Vortech SC S2000. We had our local dyno day there. He also has a Dynapack dyno which I like better than a roller dyno. I was dissapointed though because as you mentioned the A/F ratio is all over the place and he said that is the best he could do. I did look at the boost graph and it was smooth with no dropoffs and no spikes. I checked the belt tension and I was able to turn the belt 90 degrees with effort so it seems pretty tight. How would I go about checking if my blow off valve is stuck open? The air filter is the filter that comes with the kit and is a couple years old and pretty dirty. Do you think this would effect the boost that much though? I think I will go out and get a new K&N filter anyways.

I think next time I will just pay for the dyno time and take a fuel pressure gauge with me and tune the V-AFC myself while adjusting the FPR. Isnt the safest and optimal A/F ratio between 12:1 - 13:1 starting out leaner and running richer as the RPM goes higher? YS, do you have a A/F ratio graph on you car so I can get an example of what to tune for?

Thanks for the help guys. I would be lost without it.
What do you mean by turn the belt? If you mean you can move it without the crank pulley moving, it is too loose.

I don't know how to check a BPV to see if it is stuck open. Although it being stuck open would cause this problem, I think it is a slim possibility.

A dirty air filter can make a huge difference. K&N does not make a replacement for that filter - the inlet is too large. Try cleaning it real well and see if that makes a difference.

You should shoot for 12.5:1 on A/F (running on pump gas). I run VP103 in my car so I tuned it a tad leaner. I don't have a graph, but we are running about 12.7 throughout and richening up at the very top to about 12.4.

The fact that the tuner said he can't do any better is frightening. Definitely find another shop - they will be able to do wonders for your tuning if they know what they are doing.

-YS
Old 05-01-2003, 08:49 AM

Also would it be best for me just to clear out my V-AFC settings to be on the safe side? Im guessing the Comptech kit will run safe without any fuel computer.
That might not be a bad idea. I would still drive the car pretty easy until you know for sure what your A/F ratios are.

-YS
Old 05-01-2003, 06:12 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Yellow Streak
[B]

What do you mean by turn the belt?
Old 05-02-2003, 02:50 AM

I have seen posts that people test the SC belt tension by turning the belt 90 degrees to the side with thump and index finger. When this becomes hard to do it is tight enough. I looked at the filter today and it was just totally dirty. I took the filter from the stock airbox and fit it for the SC intake. I also added a little piping to direct more air to the SC airbox. Its seemed a lot quicker already and I think one of the problems was that the old filter was very restrictive. Now hopefully I can get the V-AFC tuned right.
Just as a test, when you are on the dyno. Try removing the lid from the airbox and doing a pull and see where it lands. Then remove the filter all together and see where it lands. I am running a remote air intake in the nose because removing my filter picked me up 24 HP. Comptech says that is not possible, but we blew air on my foam filter and at 120 psi, we could barely feel it coming out the other side.

-YS
Old 05-02-2003, 09:55 PM

im very pleased, but cautious to not have seen even 1 of you really say anything bad about the comptech s/c! do NOT for a second get me wrong, that is exactly what im praying for but is it true? no real probs?
Old 08-27-2003, 11:11 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Reignman - Where did you get to with this?

Was it the belt? Or the filter?

I have just installed my kit (bought used) and am underwhelmed with the dyno results. My A/F looked just like yours but the tuner managed to clean it up with the V-AFC.

We also swapped plugs for newer ones with the correct gap.

But we still only ended up with 160Kw.
Old 08-28-2003, 04:38 AM

Originally posted by AusS2000
Reignman - Where did you get to with this?

Was it the belt? Or the filter?

I have just installed my kit (bought used) and am underwhelmed with the dyno results. My A/F looked just like yours but the tuner managed to clean it up with the V-AFC.

We also swapped plugs for newer ones with the correct gap.

But we still only ended up with 160Kw.
I think the problem was the filter. I put a cleaner filter back on and my boost seemed to be at a normal level then. The tuner I took it to really sucked and didnt seem to know what he was doing. I hadnt taken the SC back to the dyno after I fixed these things so Im not sure if my power went up or not.
Old 08-28-2003, 08:38 AM

The "stock" Comptech kit will run in the low 13's a/f. Anything richer, although it is safer, is really going to lose power. After 7.5K the car is being killed by the fuel, imho. The 13.8 at 6K really needs to be richened up, as mentioned before. I would guess that the boost reading at the shop may not be accurate...do you not have a boost gauge?
Old 08-28-2003, 03:18 PM

Well at that point I had a boost gauge but it was a digital boost gauge and it didnt seem to be real accurate.

Quick Reply: Second Comptech SC dyno tuning with ESM installed