S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

SECOND BEST Oil filter

Old 03-24-2011, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tiger1964
Having fun reading the FAQ and Search results -- OK, that's a lie, not fun at all. "Oil Filter" results in 40 pages of topics, some of which are simply links to generic analyses of filters in general. Sure to spark a liveley debate, but a simple list of "we advise these" filters not forthcoming.

Went to dealers over the weekend for OEM filters for the S2K and the RSX-S; same manufacturer, more or less, similar displacement and HP output. The Acura dealer sold me one for $8.80, up from $7.10 two years ago, washer included. Honda dealer charged a few pennines under $20 once the 67-cent washer was added in, up from $12.00 (exact) two years ago.

Sheesh! Well, I presume a little more search will find me a S2Ki-supporting reseller that will get me 20% off OEM in bulk, nice enough (hints as to whom that might be welcome). That said, alternatives that are of high quality are of interest. No, not Fram (that's not funny!); I am running the Wix air filer that I found out about here on S2Ki -- thanks by the way -- and similar input for the oil filter would be great. especially if it included brand, part #, and source (local chains or on-line).

I have been using OEM filters and Mobil one on all vehicles for decades, but right now I'm looking at $45 in materials only for an oil change... really?
http://www.hondapartscheap.com/southbay/jsp/prddisplay.jsp?hidSwitch=Switch&hidIrno=|008&catcg ry1=S2000&catcgry2=2004&catcgry3=2DR+S2000&catcgry 4=KA6MT&catcgry5=OIL+PUMP+-+OIL+STRAINER&vinsrch=no&ListAll=&prdrefno=&act=&c ount=0&quantity=0
http://www.hondapartscheap.com/southbay/jsp/prddisplay.jsp?hidSwitch=Switch&hidIrno=|008&catcg ry1=S2000&catcgry2=2004&catcgry3=2DR+S2000&catcgry 4=KA6MT&catcgry5=AIR+CLEANER&vinsrch=no&ListAll=&p rdrefno=&act=&count=0&quantity=0

i dont see how spending $45 on an oil change is an issue... thats a pretty good price to pay and unless you drive like crazy youre only spending that $45 every 4-6 months. With an OEM oil filter being $10 and an aftermarket being about $8, you save 2 dollars every 4ish months or $6 per year

and youre running a wix air filter for what benefit? to spend $25 instead of $27 for an oem? this saves you $2 every 1-1.5 years depending your driving habits.

if the small amount of cost difference between OEM maintenance items and off brands is an issue for you, maybe look into making some extra cash to cover the costs. if your saving about $8 per year with after market items, you can make this money back somewhat easily to afford the OEM stuff. one idea off of the top of my head would be to offer one your neighbors a once per year lawn mowing service. if you mowed one lawn per year at a rate of $8 per mow, this would come out to... $8! - - - enough to maintain your car with OEM filters for 1 year. if you dont feel like doing that much work, you could try cost cutting in your personal life. heres another idea off the top of my head... buy 1 less pair of underwear over a 1 year span, this will save some serious cash, you might have enough left over to buy some lucky girl a burger from the dollar menu.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:44 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

IIRC the oil pressure max's out at 125 psi around 5000 rpm, using a 30 weight.
IOW, after 5k rpm the oil pump is in bypass.

Isn't it the filter media that creates the pressure difference and the amount of media that determines the service interval, IOW how much dirt it can hold without blocking?
If that is true - I'm asking - a bigger filter just gives you a longer service interval, not better filtration and/or less oil pressure drop by default.
Another filter media might give better filtration at the cost of flow and a higher pressure drop, more media would make no difference?

I'm not an oil filter engineer, so I'm just sticking with the OEM PCX.

Btw.. the aftermarket car part industry thrives on people that are sure their car needs performance upgrades, marketing playes a huge role here.
Most claims are not proven, are statistic noise at best.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run Mobil 1 and OEM filter also. It maybe $45, which is about a tank of gas, for you now but the filter runs two oil intervals. Good price over the life of it.

I look at cost closely too, 166K on a 06, I'm dropping oil every other month and go still go with OEM.

Also request a discount from the dealer, doesn't hurt to ask, I get one and only because I asked if they price match.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:18 AM

Received 248 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by SpitfireS
.........Isn't it the filter media that creates the pressure difference and the amount of media that determines the service interval, IOW how much dirt it can hold without blocking?
If that is true - I'm asking - a bigger filter just gives you a longer service interval, not better filtration and/or less oil pressure drop by default.
Another filter media might give better filtration at the cost of flow and a higher pressure drop, more media would make no difference?........
The filter media does create the pressure differential as do other parts of the filter design, as the filter traps more contaminants the greater the pressure differential. So if you start off with over twice the filter media as well as a bigger filter can(compared to stock) you have less pressure differential with the same amount of oil going though the filter. The oil goes though the larger filter at a slower speed so the filter has a better chance to trap more contaminants as compared to a smaller filter where the "same" amount of oil has to go though the filter at a greater speed and with a larger pressure differential. I have never seen a larger filter hold less contaminants than a smaller filter and the larger filter does give you a longer service interval, first by filtering the oil better and second by allowing your vehicle to take more oil(6qt's > 5qt's).
You could use a better filter media(smaller micron rating)with a larger filter and still supply your engine with 100% of the oil it needs, but you would not want to go overboard without knowing the gallons/minute the filter will flow @ whatever psi your vehicle needs.

I put 3k to 4k miles a month on my "S" and on my next oil change I'll get a UOA after 150% as shown by the engine oil life indicator. I just changed the oil and filter so it will take me 3 to 4 months but we have some drives planed so I will post the results when I get them.

I have never said that the stock filter(or any other) was bad, I just think I can do better than Honda because I don't have to worry what it cost me since I buy 6 at a time not 60,000.

I appreciate the civil discussion we have had on this because I know how fast this could have degraded as many post have in the past when its about GOD forgive oil or filters.

ROD
Old 03-25-2011, 10:36 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Supra-holic
for you now but the filter runs two oil intervals. Good price over the life of it.
Yikes! Re-use a filter? Really?

$45 is about what I spent, to the penny, for oil & filter. Sure, compared to a new engine, it's a trifle but a 62.5% cost increase over 24 months from the exact same parts counter?
Old 03-25-2011, 12:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tiger1964
Originally Posted by Supra-holic' timestamp='1301076910' post='20396507
for you now but the filter runs two oil intervals. Good price over the life of it.
Yikes! Re-use a filter? Really?

$45 is about what I spent, to the penny, for oil & filter. Sure, compared to a new engine, it's a trifle but a 62.5% cost increase over 24 months from the exact same parts counter?
Don't know about the term reuse as the filter is suppose to run two oil intervals as recommend in my manual. No issues with 166K on her.

Running the Mobil 1 Syn, I also run the maintenance minder to 1000 miles over, which is about a little over a week in terms of my driving.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:14 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by slipstream444
The OEM PCX filter is the only way to go. Even if you save a couple bucks every 3000-5000 miles, is it really worth the risk of using a filter that will likely bypass under VTEC? I'd stick with the OEM PCX filter if it cost 3 times as much. It's a quality filter, it's well made, it's specifically made for the S2000, and oh ya... it's actually pretty cheap.
It won't bypass. The bypass is based on pressure differential, not total pressure.