S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Seat Really Stuck

Old 05-20-2007, 05:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Seat Really Stuck

So sometime last year my passenger seat became stuck in the third or fourth slot from the back. I have tried everything to get it to move with no luck.

1. Checked the rails to make sure there isn't anything blocking the seat.
2. Lubricated the rails.
3. Tried my hardest to make the seat get unstuck by trying to shift it forward or back.
4. Tried to remove the seat, but the seat is stuck too far back and I can't get to the back bolts no matter what contortionist act I try.

The seat is stuck on the left rail and not the right. I can feel the right is able to move and it is just the left that is stuck. The seat won't shift forward or backward. When I pull the lever, the teeth disengage from both rails but the left rail still won't budge. I was hoping to soundproof the interior this summer but this seat is seriously giving me a hard time. Any advice or suggestions any has would be greatly appreciated. Also, don't hold back on the simple stuff. I may be overlooking something very obvious (I hope so).
Old 05-20-2007, 05:33 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 348 Likes on 318 Posts

Look for a coin stuck in the inside seat track.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same thing happened to me. I was able to force the seat to move but when I removed it I found 3 ball bearings under my seat. I'm thinking they came from my pass. seat. Seat works fine now! Try removing the seat to get a better look at the sliding rail. I'm thinkin there are some ball bearings bunched up in there.
Keep us posted. Good luck
Old 05-20-2007, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yep.. everyone i know that had their seats stuck like that.. said oh i looked and found nothing in the rails.. after i took a look at it.. i find a coin..
Old 05-20-2007, 10:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did the connecting wire come loose or break? Meaning you could flip the seat release lever all day and it wouldn't disengage the slide locking mechanism.
EDIT: Nevermind, I see you checked that.
Have you tried sliding it while seated in it? Probably another stupid question from me. I have seen seats that refuse to slide unless you're sitting in them though. I think my CRX did this. You could try sitting in the seat, leaning back and then flip the lever and try and slide/scootch with your weight still toward the rear of the seat.
Old 06-24-2007, 06:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So after multiple weekends and multiple tries, I finally got the seat to move. I finally got so fed up I was ready to destroy the thing with my bare hands or any power tools I could get a hold of. I know, not the most mature response but my top was recently slashed and taking the seat out will make it a lot easier to replace. Anyway, I gave it one last try and beat on the seat as hard as I could towards the base of the back until it moved backwards and then managed to get it to slide forward enough so I could remove the rear bolts.

It turns out that the back roller on the inner rail is rusted just about solid. I tried to lubricate it but I don't think that will be a long-term solution as the roller is just too rusted. Anyone ever heard of this happening? The rest of the rollers are perfect including the one that shares a track with the rusted one. I think it must have been a defective part.

Thanks for all of the advice. Man am I glad that there wasn't anything in the track. I would have felt like an idiot. I can't describe how happy I was when I finally got it to move.