S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Searched and nothing conclusive re: my clutch prob

Old 04-26-2010, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Searched and nothing conclusive re: my clutch prob

Hey guys, A have a good one for you…

A few months ago my ’00 s2k w/ 85k miles started giving me trouble shifting into reverse. I would have to pull forward a few times until the syncros permitted the shift. Around the same time I would also have trouble shifting from 1st to 2nd and sometimes 2nd to 3rd . My clutch would seemingly not fully disengage sometimes so I brought it to Honda w/ its erratic behavior. They adjusted my pressure plate (didn’t even know you could do that) and replaced my clutch fluid which made little to no difference. They said my clutch was fine but here I am a month later w/ additional troubles…

My car will not shift into first anymore. As soon as I hit first gear (w/ my clutch in) it wants to move forward. No grinding has occurred (I have never forced it in 1st) and it is almost like someone is tapping my rear bumper when I hit first. Second is similar but I can actually get it into the gear. As soon as I do, however, I have to let my clutch out , gas it and go or pull it out of 2nd unless it will stall. Again, I know the clutch isn’t fully disengaging. I can only get the car into reverse after I shove it in 2nd and it takes a few times. When I finally reverse the car chatters and bucks while moving, with or without the clutch in. The bucking behavior is not present with forward gears. If I never had to stop, no one would be the wiser as the car shifts normal once moving.

The only thing I can rule out is, lol, clutch fluid since that is the only thing that has been changed. I am not leaking any fluid but wonder if it could be a failing master cylinder anyway. I just have no idea how I would rule MC or SC out. I’ve hit up the forums a lot today and found the MC is the culprit in some of these cases in s2000 and RSXs. Other posts suggest it is only my pressure plate although no posts match all my symptoms. With the cost of getting into the transmission and considering mileage I feel it’s worth it to replace everything. I want to pre-order oem parts to save but I would kick myself in the ass if it was just a MC.
What do you guys think? BTW I want to preorder parts to speed things up but worry due to ridiculous price breakdown from Honda below…

347.10 Clutch
171.19 Friction plate
387.95 Flywheel
873.00 Operation cost
1779.24 Total Clutch / Flywheel job

Your input is so appreciated; anything you have to offer- please share!!