S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Seam foam

Old 07-20-2012, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont care how long its been around you still cant and never will be able to compress water! It has no where to go!
Old 07-20-2012, 10:22 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

LOL. Water decarbonization is safe as long as you're not chugging down a quart in a minute. It's no different than using seafoam, except it's much cheaper. Water is incompressible, but so are most liquids, including seafoam and gasoline. You don't see your engine die just because gasoline is liquid. The idea is that the liquid will vaporize before the piston fully compresses the mixture.

Yes you can use water. Yes I have done it, and yes, it works just as well as seafoam when used through a vacuum hose (obviously don't put water in your gas tank).
Old 07-21-2012, 02:56 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SpinningHigh04
I dont care how long its been around you still cant and never will be able to compress water! It has no where to go!
By that logic, you shouldn't put any fuel into an engine because you can't compress gasoline or diesel.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:50 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JFUSION
One of the few products strong enough to actually work is Redline Fuel System cleaner, it uses PEA which is the most effective cleaning chemical. A half bottle will treat the S2k's small tank, so one bottle a year is plenty. Here are my intake ports at 60k miles, I had to do a double take when I first saw them, and the valve heads looked like they just came out of the factory, not a single deposit to be found on them.
Redline SI-1 is fantastic. My cars gets a bottle once a year. I still have old-stock Gumout Regane bottles that are 30-40% PEA and they're equally effective.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:18 AM

great thread! still need facts about that waterdoubt...
Old 07-21-2012, 09:47 AM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Originally Posted by JFUSION' timestamp='1342831709' post='21877156
One of the few products strong enough to actually work is Redline Fuel System cleaner, it uses PEA which is the most effective cleaning chemical. A half bottle will treat the S2k's small tank, so one bottle a year is plenty. Here are my intake ports at 60k miles, I had to do a double take when I first saw them, and the valve heads looked like they just came out of the factory, not a single deposit to be found on them.
Redline SI-1 is fantastic. My cars gets a bottle once a year. I still have old-stock Gumout Regane bottles that are 30-40% PEA and they're equally effective.
Yeah the older Gumout was very effective, not sure about the newer formula. I remember Larry Widmer (The Old One) got me using it many years back.

Water injection gives the engine a nice steam bath which really loosens up the carbon. With any fluid introduced to the combustion chamber, always introduce it as a mist rather than just pouring it in. I never liked the idea of attaching a vacuum hose to a bottle, that is how you can hydrolock the engine. Sending it in as a mist intermittently will exit with the exhaust and not cause any harm.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:37 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

I've used seafoam in the past. Headsup it did nothing for me on our 140k TL.

I think you're better off running a techron or redline PEA cleaner through the tank plus switch over to shell or chevron gas on every 4th fill up.

I realize that's not the answer you want but it's probably better.

I do use seafoams spray to clean my TB.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:01 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Guys i actually tried the water method today, it fouled my plugs but just cleaned them up.

It made a small difference removing a little of carbon on top of the pistons (before and after).
Old 07-21-2012, 09:20 PM

Received 248 Likes on 177 Posts

GM used water injection in the 1962 and 1963 Oldsmobile Jetfire with it's turbocharged 10.25:1 compression aluminum V8. To keep detonation under control Oldsmobile used water injection and a fluid called "Olds Turbo Rocket Fluid" which was nothing more then a blend of water and methanol and a corrosion inhibitor. It was also used in Formula 1 racing for a short period of time before being banned for adding too much horsepower.
Yes you can get more power with water injection.

ROD
Old 07-21-2012, 11:20 PM

support

Quick Reply: Seam foam