S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Seafoam and vacuum lines

Old 01-20-2012, 09:54 PM

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

SLOOOOWLY add the seafoam...be extremely careful, otherwise that vacuum will suck enough NON-COMPRESSABLE seafoam into a cylinder and hydrolock your engine, bend con rods and make a generally bad situation of your engine. Ask me how i know this...and it wasn't on a valuable s2000 engine thankfully.

If you have an erratic idle, have you tried the recommended factory ECU reset process. Apparently you need to do this if the battery has been disconnected.

good luck

darcy
Old 02-04-2012, 09:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by importkid
At your local parts store you will see seafoam with a straw on the can. It's a dollar or two more but I believe it's called deep creep. (the only seafoam with a straw) and remove the air box lid then the filter just pulls out (if OEM) then loosen the screw and gently remove the small side line from the intake tube and move it off to the side. If you have an 05 or older you will have an air pump but I think the hose is long enough for this. Just use the throttle cable (this is shown in detail in the IAC cleaning DIY) and open the throttle body flap all the way and spray a liberal amount, but do not drown it and then use an old tooth brush or a nylon gun scrubber to get all the gunk off. It will be difficult to start your car the next time you try but that is okay. You can also use this product in your IAC cleaning which is very simple.

Remember to double check everything is hooked back up and also check the air pump clamp (if applicable) at the bottom of the cooling fan. Mine ended up coming loose from its holding and my fan would tap it making a horrid noise. When you restart the car do not hold the starter until it starts. Just go at it normal and then let off and try again. Sometimes a slight amount of throttle pressure will help, but I try not to use it because there is little oil in the head when the car has sat.

OK..just cleaned the IAC...even coated the gasket with a little oil... now to clean the TB....imnot a mechanic so i get nervous ill mess the car up but from what you describe above it cant be too hard..will report back...
Old 02-04-2012, 09:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK..cleaned TB best i could. Lots of black built up crap in there but since it is on the car i could only clean so far in. Cleaned the flap pretty good and the areas around it. The car was rough to start so i had to give it some gas to get it to run. I let it sit at idle and it was fie after that. Have to see if the IAC and TB clean did me good. The IAC was real dirty inside and i spent a lot of time cleaning it best i could...even a toddler toothbrush was too small so i used a microfiber towel wrapped around a pen cap to get inside real good.