S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Seafoam and vacuum lines

Old 01-19-2012, 10:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Seafoam and vacuum lines

Hi guys,

My idle sucks and is very shaky. After spark plug replacement and two bottles of techron I’m still having the problem. I know this is common in the AP1 so I want to now try the Seafoam. I have read here that you can use the seafoam in the vacuum lines, gas tank and as an oil additive. I was wondering what is the best way to apply seafoam to clean junk out of the motor, gas and vacuum lines. I can’t find a DIY with pics on the vacuum line process so if anyone can post a few pics id greatly appreciate it!!
Old 01-19-2012, 11:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used the nice fat brake booster vac line suck it in SLOOOOOWLY about 1/3 of the bottle

Shut down for 10min

Fire it up and drive it on the highway lots of load you want to get heat into the engine to burn the junk off.

Oil change within 50 miles after putting it in at the very most IMO

I didn't feel anything noticeable just a slightly smother idle, almost no smoke came out on my CRX it was like a TRAIN
Old 01-19-2012, 12:13 PM

Ok got it..

But you mean change the oil after i add it to the oil, not after i clean out the vacuum lines.. right?
Old 01-20-2012, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clean the IAC before moving to chemical solutions.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:50 AM

Yup just gonna suggest the IAC. Also, Have you cleaned the Throttle plate with throttle cleaner?
Old 01-20-2012, 11:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've used small amounts of water to do this on civics.

It turns to steam and steam cleans pretty darn well! I've removed the spark plugs and used a boroscope to take a peek and it made a pretty dramatic difference.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by importkid

Yeah i was just looking at the DIY on that. Im not a mechanic but it looks quite easy. These things make me nervous but im gonna take a crack at it next time the weather is warm enough for me to work on the car.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by golfman
Also, Have you cleaned the Throttle plate with throttle cleaner?

No..any quick pics on how to do that?
Old 01-20-2012, 02:06 PM

At your local parts store you will see seafoam with a straw on the can. It's a dollar or two more but I believe it's called deep creep. (the only seafoam with a straw) and remove the air box lid then the filter just pulls out (if OEM) then loosen the screw and gently remove the small side line from the intake tube and move it off to the side. If you have an 05 or older you will have an air pump but I think the hose is long enough for this. Just use the throttle cable (this is shown in detail in the IAC cleaning DIY) and open the throttle body flap all the way and spray a liberal amount, but do not drown it and then use an old tooth brush or a nylon gun scrubber to get all the gunk off. It will be difficult to start your car the next time you try but that is okay. You can also use this product in your IAC cleaning which is very simple.

Remember to double check everything is hooked back up and also check the air pump clamp (if applicable) at the bottom of the cooling fan. Mine ended up coming loose from its holding and my fan would tap it making a horrid noise. When you restart the car do not hold the starter until it starts. Just go at it normal and then let off and try again. Sometimes a slight amount of throttle pressure will help, but I try not to use it because there is little oil in the head when the car has sat.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by importkid
I had a rough idle for a while when I purchased my used MY04 s2k. I did the IAC cleaning, it took about 20 mins to get it done properly and it significantly improved my idle and even cleared a CEL code. There was a lot of carbon deposit in there. This is the link I posted after doing the iac vavle cleaning. It was on s2000.com

http://s2000.com/forums/engine-tech-...-cleaning.html

Quick Reply: Seafoam and vacuum lines