S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Seafoam in crankcase

Old 11-13-2013, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to because I am experiencing noisy valves, so I wanted to try and get some of the deposits off of them and I heard good things about seafoam.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:30 PM

Used it*
Old 11-13-2013, 07:31 PM

Just because it says marine on it doesn't mean its only for boat engines. You can use it on practically any diesel or gas engine, including 2 stroke and 4 strokes.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I bought my AP2 back in July I thought I was having symptoms of oil deposits in the engine (turned out to be the MAP/IAC valve/ECU/weather so my problem was solved before I went this route) but after looking around I believe the general experienced concensus was that you do not want to do any sort of flush or seafoam on the F20 of F22 - the popular highlights of why not appeared to be incompatibility with our gaskets, fouling of the catalytic converter, etc. Of course, you could disconnect your cat, but it doesn't mention anywhere to do that on the bottle or anything which is truely a concern for me.

However, I do think this is a good article and I believe the guy spoke to the appropriate personnel from Seafoam to get some good facts:
http://www.yotatech.com/f105/sea-foa...-truth-160613/ but keep in mind that he has a different car, Seafoam has been around forever (I think?) and that our cars have been made differently than cars in the past and... well... it's the internet... so the guy could be full of crap.

Another general concensus is that if you're going to put it in the crankcase that you don't do more than 1/3 of a std. bottle and do not drive more than 100 miles on it. They also suggest not letting the car sit at all with it in the oil and if you're going to drive 100 miles on it in... to make a 100 mile trip and immediately drop the oil out and do an oil change.

I would suggest dropping the oil now (warm) and putting in cheapo stuff. I think the best way to clean crap out of the motor is to just use full synthetic and change the oil on schedule. Even how mild the detergents are in most full synthetics will clean out the motor just fine over time, I believe.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:29 AM

Received 1,338 Likes on 810 Posts

I promise you seafoam will do nothing for noisy valves.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:58 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
Originally Posted by CoolGuy094' timestamp='1384393798' post='22876294
I've used seafoam in my crankcase in a few cars before, including my S. I do it about 100 miles before my next oil change so it doesn't stay in there long.
What leads you to think you need it? I have read about that stuff before but I don't have a boat engine. Do you think it works/fixes what you think needs work?
I used it in the crank case to free up and clear out any crud that might have been hanging around. My cars had 100,000+ miles on them when I did it for the first time. On that oil change I noticed an amount of gloopy-looking oil floating at the top of the container I drained the oil in. Whether this was crud that the seafoam freed up from inside the engine, or if it was just a side effect of the seafoam, I can't say. But I like to think it did a little something.

I've also put some in my gas tank to help clean the lines/injectors, and some through the brake booster vacuum line (slowly!) to help clean intake valves. Many mixed reviews out there about this stuff. I've never had an issue with using it, but I always use it in mild moderation and according to the instructions on the back of the bottle, along with some common sense.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:10 AM

Do I need to flush my engine or just drop the oil and put the amsoil in?
Old 11-14-2013, 12:08 PM

My brother's an old school mechanic that loves that stuff. I've done a lot of reading on it and get mixed info everywhere I look. I come from the rover world, which have extremely dirty engines, so it's widely used there. Never felt the need to do it on my S.

Personally I wouldn't put anything in my crankcase but oil. Use synthetic and change when needed and it'll be spotless inside. What happens when you knock off a big chunk of "gunk" , which you probably don't even have, and it partially or totally blocks up the oil pick-up? Not to mention the chance of altering your oil into something lesser.

I only use seafoam with a slow injection into the intake, via a vac hose. Let it sit for 30mins, crank her up, be ready for some dtc's, then go driving and watch the black smoke roll. I do this to my rover every time it's in need of plugs. I Do the seafoam clean, then put new plugs in it. Definitely makes a difference in performance.

From all the reading I've done it's pretty useless in the tank. There are some pretty good fuel injectors out there that would probably do a much better job.

Just my .02$.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by jeremeep

If I were you, I'd drain immediately and Put in cheap syn. You could treat the cheaper oil as your flush.

These cars are pretty bullet proof, but playing around with the oil, whether it's level, neglecting to change or mixing chemicals in it, is one sure way to be needing a new block.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by MR.T
Originally Posted by jeremeep' timestamp='1384459840' post='22877486

If I were you, I'd drain immediately and Put in cheap syn. You could treat the cheaper oil as your flush.

These cars are pretty bullet proof, but playing around with the oil, whether it's level, neglecting to change or mixing chemicals in it, is one sure way to be needing a new block.

Well I just got the amsoil delivered to me... so I don't wanna have to buy more oil and then flush it out. I really didn't put that much seafoam in my crankcase. Can I just get away with draining it and then putting the new oil in?

Quick Reply: Seafoam in crankcase