S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Screeching sound when turning

Old 11-29-2010, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Screeching sound when turning

Hi everyone,
My MY05 just starting screeching when I turn, usually when I turn right. The best way to describe the sound is metal down a chalkboard. It isn't terribly loud, but loud enough to get some looks from people on sidewalks when I am turning. Its definitely coming from the front of the car, my logical guess would say steering rack. I don't notice any binding on the steering wheel or any other 'symptoms' other than the sound.

To give some recent background... it started happening after a 5.5 hour highway drive. Only recent maintenance is an oil change (right before the highway trip).

Anyone have this issue or can anyone help me out? TIA
Old 11-29-2010, 04:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you checked your brake pads, maybe low and need changed. Don't know how many miles you have on your car.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:47 PM

~42k miles. I don't need to be braking for the sound to be there. And it doesn't do it when I turn left. Still think it may be pads?
Old 11-29-2010, 06:07 PM

You might check them they have a low pad indicator made on the pads when the pad gets low the indicator rubs against the rotor making a squealing sound. Warning you that the pads are getting low before they get to low and damage the rotor.
They would squeal without using the brakes and maybe intermitten and could be one side is lower than the other. (less pad than the other)
Old 11-29-2010, 06:14 PM

It may not be it but it's a starting point, that's what I would check first if it was my car. If you find the pads are OK you might try removing the pads clean everthing real good with brake clean and then take the pads face down on the sidewalk (concrete with sand in it not gravel so its somewhat like sandpaper) and grind them around in circular motions. This will take a little of the face off the pad, DIY glase removal off the pad. Then reintall the pads and see if that helps. You might also grease the sliders on the calipers with high temp grease.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:45 PM

Okay, I'll be sure to look at the brakes when I get a chance to work on it. Unfortunately this is my DD and I have to drive it about 100 miles/day. There was a development today. It started making that same noise while going straight. It did it for a few minutes then stopped, then started again. Any other opinions? Anyone?
Old 11-30-2010, 02:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would check for unusual rubbing in the brake system first as others have suggested.

It seems unlikely as your car has pretty low mileage, but you may want to check for play in your wheel bearings. My friend's old integra had a weird screechy/grindy noise when turning one direction and it turned out a wheel bearing was shot. Its easy to check, may be worth a try.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:09 PM

I don't know what wheels you have on your car but you should be able to look through the spokes of the wheel with a flashlight and see if the pad is worn thin. If its the pads the squeal will become more and more steady until it becomes a constant squeal.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:53 PM

Stock wheels. I've never heard of a worn break pad scraping your rotor while you aren't braking, but I will check it out.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:42 PM

The brake pads have a wear indicator made on the pad, its a metal strip that goes down the side of the pad and when the pad gets low it allows the metal strip to rub against the rotor making a squealing sound indicating a low pad that needs replaced.

Quick Reply: Screeching sound when turning