S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Scratching Sound When Engine Breaking?

Old 01-23-2013, 10:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Scratching Sound When Engine Breaking?

So just the other week I bought my first s2000! It's a 2005 new formula red color and something I always wanted. Unfortunately, I bought the car from a private dealer and don't know the real history behind the car. The only thing I do know is that it has a clean title and came with an AEM V2 CAI.

I started noticing the other day that when I am engine braking in low gears (2nd, 3rd), I can hear this kind of scratching noise coming from the engine bay. If I was to leave the car in 2nd gear up to 5-6k rpm and let off the gas, I would hear the scratching noise all the way down until I press the clutch in. In the higher gears the sound is very faint. It sounds like I'm hurting my baby lol

Does anyone know what this may be? I fear I might have bought a car that will be expensive to fix. I did searches on google and people were mentionging "throwout bearing" or other stuff but I never dealed with many transmissions so I don't much on the field. Others have mentioned loose clutch?

If anyone has input it would be much appreciated! Thanks!
Old 01-23-2013, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may want to edit the topic to "braking" instead of "breaking".
Old 01-23-2013, 11:03 AM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

google "clutch buzz site:s2ki.com" and see if the threads describe what you are noticing
Old 01-23-2013, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by raymo19
You may want to edit the topic to "braking" instead of "breaking".
Woops! It won't let me change it but thanks for pointing that out.

Originally Posted by s2000ellier
google "clutch buzz site:s2ki.com" and see if the threads describe what you are noticing
It doesnt sound like any type of buzzing noise to me though. I think I would have to hear the infamous "clutch buzz" in person to get an accurate comparison. To me, a buzz sound is more like a higher pitch vibration noise. My car sounds like it is scratchy when I de-accelerate using engine braking. I'll try taking a video tonight if I can. Thanks for your input! Any other thoughts would be appreciated as well!
Old 01-23-2013, 01:31 PM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

are you applying the brakes at the same time???
possible its the brake pads telling you they are on their way out????
Old 01-23-2013, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000ellier
'05 AP2 shouldn't have clutch buzz. I'm thinking it's something else but a video w/audio would help.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer
are you applying the brakes at the same time???
possible its the brake pads telling you they are on their way out????
I am not applying the brakes at the same time. I wish the problem was that easy though!

Originally Posted by raymo19
Originally Posted by s2000ellier' timestamp='1358971413' post='22287025
'05 AP2 shouldn't have clutch buzz. I'm thinking it's something else but a video w/audio would help.
Yea that's what I also read too. I actually went out to drive my car again with my video recorder ready... but this time I couldn't get the scratching sound to come back! I had this sound since day one I bought my car and for some reason... the day I take it out to record the sound it disappears! Temperature conditions were same and everything. I know for sure this will come back and when it does I'll be ready. Thanks for helping so far guys! Once I record it I'll show it on here.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know my fog lights make a sort of scratching sound like that at certain RPMs, they are just vibrating in their housings/bumper.

So could be a loose bumper bolt near the fender or somthing similar.

Last thing i can think of would be LMA's (Loss Motion Assembly). But i have not heard of any going bad in the F20, mostly B-Series motors.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:38 AM

I thought that ap2's could still clutch buzz but no where to the extent ap1's did. I thought it was just audible backlash, sometimes drony with scraping...

mine sure does.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:41 AM

The video or sound clip will be the best thing to help here. So many noises with the S, hard to pinpoint it without more information.

Quick Reply: Scratching Sound When Engine Breaking?