S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Scraping sound coming from Rear while driving?

Old 07-20-2012, 06:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scraping sound coming from Rear while driving?

Hey guys, got an issue with my S. Hers how it started I think. I live in southern Cal, hot as hell right now. Anyway I decided to go through a laser car wash, the ones where you pull into the bay, stay in the car and the machine goes around the car. Well anyway, I believe I started to hear a scraping sound from the rear after the wash. Possibly rotor was hot and got splashed with cold water, bent rotor?

If not here is the description of my dilemma.

As I start to roll to about 10 mph I start to hear a scraping sound, can’t pin point if it’s from the right or left rear. The faster I go, the faster the wheels spin and I hear it more often. Seems like a certain spot somewhere that is scraping every time the wheel makes a full revolution. It happens when I’m in gear going forward, on the gas or when I get off the gas and coast to a stop. It also happens while I am in neutral coasting to a stop. The faster I go the more I hear it.

Jacked up the rear, both tires up in the air. Spun both tires, passenger side rear I can hear a little scraping, sound’s like a normal brake pad sliding on the rotor, friction sound. Driver’s side rear same sound, except at a certain point during a full revolution of the tire it seems like it’s scraping a bit harder, more friction and a louder sound. I have done the Hub re-torque to the driver’s side rear about 4 months ago. It’s not the same sound as a loose hub-nut would sound like. Hub-nut had a click and clunk; this is like a metal to metal type of sound.

Wheel bearing would have more of a humming sound I believe.

If you get a cigarette box, press down with a little bit of pressure while sliding the box about ½ foot on a desk or table, it makes that kind of sound.

Driving on the freeway at higher speeds if I roll the windows up and listen closely I can hear it constantly. The sound of the engine is too loud, but I can barely hear it.

I don’t know if my description is detailed enough for someone to be able to diagnose over the web.

Please let me know if I can be any more detailed.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:37 AM

sounds like your pads may be worn down and the wear indicator bar on the pad is rubbing on the rotor or the back side of the pad has the metal tab that could be hitting up against your dust sheild. Check the pads for wear.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Biohazard
sounds like your pads may be worn down and the wear indicator bar on the pad is rubbing on the rotor or the back side of the pad has the metal tab that could be hitting up against your dust sheild. Check the pads for wear.
I am not home to take the wheels off to check for metal tab colliding with dust shiled, but i just measured with a ruler. Passenger rear have about 3/16 of pad, driver rear have about 4/16 or 1/4 inch of pad.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:43 AM

I had a similar issue on my old car, turned out it was a bad wheel bearing.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:28 PM

Sounds like a bad bearing to me also. If you keep driving it and it also start squeaking, sort like like wet rubber against smooth metal, then that's surely a sign of a bad bearing.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by tom153
Sounds like a bad bearing to me also. If you keep driving it and it also start squeaking, sort like like wet rubber against smooth metal, then that's surely a sign of a bad bearing.
Shoot i hope not. I thought a bad bearing would have more of a constant humming?
Old 07-20-2012, 06:17 PM

Here's a vid I found - mine sounded like it too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHAR-ngy_ek
Old 07-20-2012, 06:23 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

To test if its the bearing, lift the car up until the wheel is off the ground. hold the wheel at 9 n 3 o' clock n tilt the wheel side to side for movement. Then hold at 12 n 6 o'clock n tilt it up n down for movement. It theres movement then wheel bearing is bad.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where in SoCal are you, I live in west LA and would be more then happy to help you out with the diagnostic, the most common problem is the wheel bearing and hub that go out, this is caused due to the axle nut not being tightened all the way and is very easy to diagnose.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by tom153
Here's a vid I found - mine sounded like it too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHAR-ngy_ek
Yup that's the sounds, except no squeaking.

Quick Reply: Scraping sound coming from Rear while driving?