S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

SC vs TC

Old 11-01-2001, 07:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep in mind that you tune to achieve maximum performance and to eliminate issues like hesitation like they were experiencing with the Comptech kit. I would have to agree that the SC is less hassle to install and tune but you don't achieve the same gains either. Once your turbo is installed and tuned there's not much to it. Your boost controller takes care of boost and all you have to do is make sure that the idiot light on your gauges don't go off. I personally would rather have safety measures like the gauges in place otherwise your car could be running poorly and you might not know it. You're not required to have gauges or a boost controller but I'm not one to do the 'minimum' needed to get by, especially when it comes to a $30K car.
Old 11-01-2001, 07:43 AM

turbo = more power...that's how i see it
they both aren't doing any good to your engine so who cares which one does it slightly faster....go with the turbo is money is no issue go with sc if it is
Old 11-01-2001, 11:41 AM

Well, let take another crack at this. My "theory" is backed up by 4 years of building Hondas and lots of probelms/solutions. The EGT is gas temp not water/head temp. The EGT reading is not indicative of Head tempertature. Keep in mind you are measuring the temp of Dynamic air. Take a look at your readings then look up the melting point of Aluminum. See anything scary ? Any how, this entire issue is prefernce. How many dragsters use turbos and how many use blowers ? Turbos make more power ?!.....it all depends on the setup. Also, the perception of power is an issue. SCs run along the RPM band so there is not dramatic difference (excluding the Comptech). Turbos...there is that sudden rush of boost that feels fast. Yes, the turbo is the way to go on the Honda for the most part. But you need to ask youself what you want out of the car. The tuning issue. They BOTH have to be tuned!!!! One is NOT easier than the other. If we must split hairs...SCs NEVER have boost creep...turbos can and sometimes do. Where is the margin of saftey there ? Boost controller...depends on proccesor power of the unit, some units can't catch overboost or spiking. Careful with the safety argument..there is no Holly Grail to this art.
Old 11-01-2001, 11:58 AM

I'm using the 'tried and true' Greddy Profec B and if something happens that it is no longer functioning then boost is controlled by the wastegate which in my case is a Tial 46mm set at 4 psi. I don't believe you will find any boost creep on my car and believe me, I have owned DSM's so I know what boost creep is. Keep in mind also that not all turbo's are the same. Performance characteristics and lag are all greatly affected by the flow characteristics of a particular turbo. In my case, I'm using a hifi 60-1 ball bearing turbo which has no noticable lag. If I launch at 4000 RPM's, I spin the tires.
Old 11-01-2001, 12:09 PM
Zot

WOW!!! This is all very interesting reading. I really do appreciate the feedback from you all. Keep it coming. How about any other personal experiences from owners with TC's or SC's. I realize there may not be a whole lot of you out there.

Thanks again
Old 11-01-2001, 02:39 PM

Try this...get in the car drive around. Look at your OEM water TEMP gauge, as soon as it reads normal OP temp, get on it. With a turbo setup even with the Profec B (which I have one), you can overboost and the diaphram and spring in the waistgate can fail do to incorret op temp. I have done this and seen 10psi on a 4 lb spring. This is not a debate about "mine is better than yours" but we need to realize that the close minded driver, is missing the big picture!!! I love turbos!!!! I have three!!!! (cars with turbos..not three in one car ) But there are pluses and minuses to them all. I have seen front mount intercoolers cause a problem with air flow over the A/C condesor and the A/C cycle b/w hot and cold. Try driving that setup in Traffic in Texas during August. Most people upgrade their fans to handle the temp change. Beleive you me, if offered, I would go with the turbo for an S2000 any day and twice on Sunday. BUT...I am a mechanic and I know how to handle a lot of issues due to my experience. The SC do give a little buffer for the not so mechanically inclined folks. Here is the bottom line, choose one, neither is bad, and I will let you in on a little secret......niether is ever fast enough!!
Old 11-01-2001, 03:32 PM

>>>How many dragsters use turbos and how many use blowers ? Turbos make more power ?!.....<<<

A reference to top fuel? Uh turbos were banned in the tippity top drag classes long, long ago. Lots of other stuff is also not allowed. There is no question they'd dominate if they were allowed in the top classes. You can sometimes see some very wild tubo rigs at tractor pulls. Cool stuff like turbos feeding their output into other turbo's inputs and so forth. Unbelievable amounts of boost.

Stan
Old 11-01-2001, 03:58 PM

"A reference to top fuel? Uh turbos were banned "

Ok, Well, i have tried to keep the topic from going in the toilet, no use of sarcasm, no reference to someone not "knowing their stuff." The above quote from E30m3 just flat out upsets me. Pardon my not knowing my top fuel history "uh, I have alot of other things to contend with," but as usual someone has to jump into the converstation to find a particular fault with a statement that provides absolutley no relevence to the origin of the entire thread. Mearly showing that blowers can and do run very well was my point. But I guess that is moot, this is begining to be a "mine is bigger than yours" issue. Have at children, I now remember why I stoped building cars for kiddies and offering free advice. E30M3 thanks for showing me, you are definitely more knowledgable than I. Go ahead and take it from here....I'll sit on the side lines like yourself and only jump in when I see that you write something "uh, incorrect."

Oh, go ahead and let the flames begin towards my reply. It will only keep reinterating my point........
Old 11-01-2001, 06:17 PM
Zot

Well it looks like derryck has had VERY good luck with his set up which is great. Me, I am most definetely NOT a machanic. I would need whatever I choose to be installed and tuned to perfection, for lack of a better word. I mean I can do regular maintenance and I can follow instructions for maintaining the TC/SC of my choice. It is just the original setup I would need and all the advice that goes with it.

All this input is fantastic for sure. All the opinions and help I have found on this board in just a few short weeks is priceless. All I know for SURE is that I am a put the key in, put gas in, change oil, do regular maintenance kind of guy. When I make a choice I just want it to be as hassle free as possible for the future. (is that even an option for either one) Once we have more info on if it can even have a chance of passing CA emmissions I will be that much closer to making a choice. I am leaning towards the TC area for the moment though.

Zot
Old 11-01-2001, 07:08 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by alphahelix
[B]"A reference to top fuel? Uh turbos were banned "

Ok, Well, i have tried to keep the topic from going in the toilet,

Quick Reply: SC vs TC