S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

SC More Midrange Boost

Old 11-10-2003, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mxt_77
Old 11-10-2003, 01:18 PM

^ nope, that isn't the case. If you vent pressure off, a standard MAP sensor will accurately meter the air still. That said, the Honda MAP sensor can't see positive pressure, the ECU doesn't know what to do with it. It isn't metering boost, at least as far as the ECU is concerned, hence the RRFPR in the comptech and vortech kits.

here's the big problem. Adiabatic efficiency. The faster you turn the blower, the more heat it creates, you might get more midrange but you get less power at redline because the air is heated all that much more. I'd have to see a compressor map, but more than likely the compressor would be in a less efficient zone at the increased pressure ratio.
Old 11-10-2003, 03:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mxt_77
Old 11-10-2003, 03:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also wonder if you could do this?

almost a centrifical pully that as rpm's increased the pully would expand of course you would need something to take in an out the belt slack. The pully would need to have springs or something that let the pully expand under centrifical force. The more rpms the more centrifical force which in turn provides a large pully. Which provides uniform boost.

Hey just thoughts no flames please. Just stuff !

I always like the phrase a supercharger on an s2000 is like getting fake tit's for a girl with D's already. What she really needs is some lipo in the ass.
Old 11-10-2003, 04:22 PM

^ I think variable-ratio pullys can't handle the power. I read somewhere that the blower takes 20-30 hp to spin it up, and a pully system to handle that much power would be too big to fit in the engine bay. But interesting idea. Maybe a hydraulic system, like a torque converter on an automatic transmission? Too messy.

So you're saying I'm a boob-man?
Old 11-10-2003, 07:07 PM

Originally posted by fperra
Come on now! Waistegates don't and can't work on a supercharger setup. It only works on turbos.
Wastegates can certainly be used in the intake. Wastegates, however, are designed to withstand the high temperature of the exhaust gases. That's why lots of them have fins to act like heat sink. The mechanical operation is what is important here. Wastegates are much more precisioned engineered and much more reliable. BOV's are designed to use the vacuum of a closed throttle plate to completely open the valve and release pressure. Wastegates are designed to be modulated and bleed off only excessive pressure, but not everything. With a wastegate, you can also use a boost controller to define the trigger point and rate to open.

Just because it's called a wastegate doesn't mean it wont work. You'll have to find one that fits and do some fabrication of the pipes. You would need BOTH a wastegate and a BOV on the supercharger though.

It would have to be constructed as a Y-pipe design. The BOV would be used when you take the foot off the throttle - this would vent ALL pressure from the supercharger. Otherwise you will get compressor surge. The Wastegate would be used to vent only excessive pressure beyond what you need. A boost controller would actually modulate the wastegate to "dial" in the correct boost.
Old 11-10-2003, 07:13 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pakisho
A friend of mine has a similar setup on a supercharged taurus sho. I mentioned it before once. He is using an 18psi pulley on the car, but has it setup so that anything over 15psi will be vented to the atmostphere.
Old 11-11-2003, 12:37 AM

I was thinking about using a wastegate on a SC'd car to control boost, but when i post on two different forums people didnt agree with me and they all said it wont work. Anyways if any of u guys did a setup that works please post it...... I would love to have a SC that can be controlled with a boost controller so i can run 8psi on pump gas and 12psi on race gas.
Old 11-11-2003, 09:55 AM

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ItalianBucwheat
a centrifical pully that as rpm's increased the pully would expand of course you would need something
Old 11-11-2003, 05:58 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RCR S2

Quick Reply: SC More Midrange Boost