S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Safest way to jack the car?

Old 12-31-2006, 05:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Safest way to jack the car?

So I went to install my testpipe yesterday, only to realize ramps simply didn't give me enough room. I'm going to need the car jacked in the air from the driver side... I've never actually had this car on stands before, nor have I ever been under the car except with the ramps. I'm a bit nervous to put the vehicle on stands based on the little graphic the owners manual gives me.

Does anyone have pictures of the correct places to place the jack and stands in the front and back of the car? Should I be able to use just one stand, even though both wheels on that side are in the air?

Also, there is the thin metal rail on the outside of the underbody where the stock jack fits... but wouldn't it be safer to jack the car on the thick metal frame that's maybe 1' inside of that point?

Thanks in advance guys.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

our car's so stiff that you can jack in a bunch of places and still be safe.

I use the side jack points in the manual - right behind the front wheel and in front of the back wheel. I don't have pictures, but if you look under that approximate area, you'll see what looks like reinforced metal, like an extra strip to make it heftier. That's where I jack and use jack stands.

To get up my driver's side, I jack at the front jack point as far towards the rear as possible. This will get both driver side wheels off the ground. Then put a jackstand next to where you just jacked the car (put it towards the front of the car)...then put a jackstand at the rear jack point. Lower the car onto your two jack stands.

Two stands = safety

Be sure to put something to block the passenger side back tire. Also pull the parking brake.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't raise one side, I'd raise either the front or the rear. There's a standard jack point in the front and the diff is the jack point in the rear. Then use the stock jack-points to place your jack stands. As mentioned, don't forget to chock the appropriate tires.

When I installed my exhaust & removed the stock cat & exhaust, I raised the rear of the car and had no problems with space. That should work for you, too.