S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Is it safe to drop the clutch?

Old 04-25-2012, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it safe to drop the clutch?

I'm used to corvettes, camaro's, etc, where you can safely drop the clutch at a slow speed and spin the wheels as you accelerate, or drift around a corner. Can the s2000 rear end handle this? Maybe a dumb question, but I'm new to these cars..
Old 04-25-2012, 08:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We all ask dumb questions but yes dropping the clutch on an s2k can be deadly to the rear end. I've been through one already because of a launch. Theses cars aren't clutch drop friendly like vettes, camaros, stangs, civic of other cars. It was made for autox not the drag strip so becareful with it. If you ever have a track day limit yourself to 2 or 3 launches that day, anything higher than that and your pushing your luck. Goodluck with your rear end if you abuse it.
The following users liked this post:
turk2000 (08-18-2021)
Old 04-25-2012, 08:05 PM

Good to know, I will miss powerslides...

Anyway to strengthen the rear end without replacing it?
Old 04-25-2012, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by thelemur

Puddymod diff will do it, but honstly you'll have to find a new drift car, the S doesnt have good enough torque...
Old 04-25-2012, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by TougeS2k
Originally Posted by thelemur' timestamp='1335413158' post='21644111

Puddymod diff will do it, but honstly you'll have to find a new drift car, the S doesnt have good enough torque...
Not sure what that is but I guess I will have to do some searching. I was thinking my first mod would be gears so maybe it can be done at the same time. I wonder how much gears cost?
Old 04-25-2012, 08:18 PM
Syn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You pretty much need to get a replacement; search for the Puddy Mod differentials.

If you're at the drag strip and you for some reason just have to launch the car, it is recommended by most to do a 7k dump in order to generate some wheel spin and thus reduce the stress on the drivetrain. If you dump it at 4-6k there's a good chance you will just hook and that means the drivetrain is getting hit with full force.

Personally I don't launch my car. The only way I would do it is if I had a replacement diff ready to go in the all-too-likely event that I break my original.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Short answer is no you shouldn't.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:29 AM

Maybe I am just getting lucky. I currently have two S2000's and launch them often. The '99 I have has seen numourous launches and has been drifted often with no issues. It's currently at 130,000 miles with many track days too. I change my diff fluid every 3 oil changes. I am going to cryo treat my CR's diff. Just to help prevent future failure.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by TougeS2k
Originally Posted by thelemur' timestamp='1335413158' post='21644111

that and its too balanced to drift correctly...thats why the only s2k's that were in formula d dropped out
Old 04-26-2012, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by Syn
You pretty much need to get a replacement; search for the Puddy Mod differentials.

If you're at the drag strip and you for some reason just have to launch the car, it is recommended by most to do a 7k dump in order to generate some wheel spin and thus reduce the stress on the drivetrain. If you dump it at 4-6k there's a good chance you will just hook and that means the drivetrain is getting hit with full force.

Personally I don't launch my car. The only way I would do it is if I had a replacement diff ready to go in the all-too-likely event that I break my original.
Oh, you can't just swap in new gears?

Quick Reply: Is it safe to drop the clutch?