S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

S2k won't start ... Help

Old 05-31-2011, 04:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An engine needs 3 things to start, compression, fuel, and spark. If you can confirm all three then there is something else wrong. Most likely electronic. Has there been any recent engine work? You say you just bought the car did you buy it not running? If timing is off even one tooth on an s2k the engine will refuse to start. Check your map sensor as well. I'm not sure about the s2k but from my DSM days if your coolant temp sensor is shot or unplugged it will also make starting the engine nearly impossible. First thing I would check now if you say you have fuel and spark is compression
Old 05-31-2011, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you pull the fuse yet to reset the ecu?
Old 06-01-2011, 05:07 AM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Did you guys read the original post? He says it cranks so the battery is strong enough to spin the engine. He said he was able to push start it so it has air, fuel and spark. It has a problem that won't let it idle which is much harder to diagnose.

When you got it running was it smooth? My guess is a bad coil pack, it's hard to idle on 3 cylinders--but not impossible. It might also be low fuel pressure, bent valve and a lot of other stuff.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:02 AM

Received 107 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by robrob
Did you guys read the original post? He says it cranks so the battery is strong enough to spin the engine. He said he was able to push start it so it has air, fuel and spark. It has a problem that won't let it idle which is much harder to diagnose.

When you got it running was it smooth? My guess is a bad coil pack, it's hard to idle on 3 cylinders--but not impossible. It might also be low fuel pressure, bent valve and a lot of other stuff.
Hey Rob, I had the exact same symptom. He said he push started but would die right at low rpms. Same issue i had when i had the wrong key in the ignition because of the immobilizer.

He's not reported back.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by robrob

Yes I did read the original post which is why I told him the next place I would check would be a compression test. Since he has already confirmed fuel and spark the next logical step would be a compression test. What we really need to know is the history of the car. If he purchased it not running or if this is something that just happened after buying the car. It he purchased it not running it could be any number of things. A bent valve as you stated (which a compression test can help detect), overly tightened valves, hell there's really no telling. To the OP next steps; compression test, check valve clearances, and if all checks out there then I would assume there is something electronically wrong preventing the car from running.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:11 PM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Sorry guys, my statement was too broad. There were a couple of short posts about fuel and battery and such.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:48 PM

Thanks for the help and sorry for the long wait for me to answer back ... But I took the car to a local shop in my area and he said the motor needs to be rebuilt or replaced =[ .... What had happen was my friend was driving my car , downshifted on high rpms and over revved the car , I saw black smoke come out the exhaust and then once he stopped the car just shut off.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:33 AM

Might not need a full rebuild. Overrev/misshift could have just busted some retainers, bent a valve maybe. You may be able to just have the head rebuilt, save yourself some coin if the bottom end is still fine. Good luck.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:44 AM

Yea the bottom end is good .... I got an estimate on rebuilding it for $1600 ... I think the valves went , the timing skipped , and A few other things
Old 06-02-2011, 01:46 PM

Ouch... One reason no one EVER drives my car hard except me. Hell if you are getting it rebuilt might as well upgrade! Throw some Ferrea valves and springs in there and boost the shiz out of it

Quick Reply: S2k won't start ... Help