S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

s2k torque sensor

Old 02-24-2014, 02:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default s2k torque sensor

Hi all,please need someones help...I searched the topic endlessly but can not find a topic that anyone has sorted it out ...my s2k steers harder to the right than to left,driving at low speed it also steers to the right by itself,but at hgher speeds it is fine...alignment,tire pressure everything fine.I have a MY00 so no obd-2 port,only a 2pin and 3pin connector.EPS light is not on...I try the neutral position but at end it flashes 2 times and the light stays off....I am not getting the last 3 blinks ..Anyone help please..Bilmann250???
Old 02-24-2014, 03:18 AM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

You either have a bad torque sensor, or most likely the procedure is not completing.

Do you have a factory torque sensor re-learn procedure you are following for your specific non-OBD2 car?

Are you sure you have on OBD2 port? it would be on right side of center console under dash, pointing down.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250
You either have a bad torque sensor, or most likely the procedure is not completing.

Do you have a factory torque sensor re-learn procedure you are following for your specific non-OBD2 car?
No sir...Only the procedure you posted in a thread somewhere...i jump my 2 pin connector and it goes into learning mode or ecu reset mode...don't know wich one it is trying to do,the whole left,centre,left centre works,at the last centre it flashes 2 times and then light stays off....
Old 02-24-2014, 03:27 AM

And no,i am from south africa,apparently what i have researched is our models only came with obd-2 later,my00 is same as the australian/japan model apparently...no obd-2 connection,only a 3pin and 2pin plug in a green cover,a 2 pin scs connector and another 3 pin plug that is an adaptor for the pgm tester
Old 02-24-2014, 03:43 AM

The SCS is the one you want to jump.

Explain exactly how you tried to do the reset, and I'll see if I can pick out what went wrong.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250
The SCS is the one you want to jump.

Explain exactly how you tried to do the reset, and I'll see if I can pick out what went wrong.
Ohkay here goes..

Ignition off,wheels straight,i jump the pin with paperclip.
1.i turn wheel 45degrees left,hold it steady and turn ignition on,
2.eps light comes on,when going off i turn wheel back to centre and release,
3.eps light comes on and i turn it back to 45 degrees left and hold it..
4.eps goes off and i turn wheel back to centre and take hands off wheel. eps flashes 2 times and then goes off.....

This is the write up i used...

The manual says " The EPS control unit stores the memory of torque sensor neutral position in the EEPROM. Perform memorising the torque sensor neutral position whenever the gearbox is removed/installed and the torque sensor or EPS control unit is replaced."

The procedure from here is a bit long but her it is:-
"...
1. Set the front wheels in the straight ahead position.
2. Connect the SCS short connector to the sertvice connector (2P) located left side of front console.
3. Turn the steering wheel 45 degrees left from the straight ahead and hold in that position.
4. Turn the ignition switch to ON (II). The EPS indicator light comes on, then it goes off after 4 secs.
5. within 4 secs of the light going off, return steering wheel to straight ahead and release the steering wheel. The EPS light comes on again 4 seconds after releasing the wheel.
6. Withiun 4 secs after the EPS light comes on turn the steering wheel 45 degrees to the left again and hold in that position. The light goes off after 4 secs.
7. Within 4 secs of the light going off, return the wheel to the straight ahead and release. Do not move the steering wheel before turning the ignition off. The torque sensor neutral position cannot be written when the steering torque is detected during this period.
8. The EPS light blinks twice 4 secs after releasing the wheel, then ity blinks 3 times 5 secs after blinking twice. Then the light goes off. <------ mine does not blink 3 times after 5 seconds...it just stays off
Old 02-24-2014, 09:42 PM

Billman?
Old 02-25-2014, 02:23 AM

Patience we are likely in different time zones

Your use of the procedure looks good.

When you pull the wheel to the left, do it so when you are at 45 degrees, you have the most resistance possible against your hand.

In other words, if you pull to 55 degrees, then back a bit to 45 degrees and hold it, you will lose pressure. This is the torque/pressure the sensor is looking for.

Pull the wheel to the left slow and consistent, so when you reach 45 degrees you do not back off, and are holding full pressure against the tires.

When releasing, get it back to center fast and get your hand off the wheel.

Airing the front tires down to 15 psi will help with the procedure as it increases the pull.

Bottom line, you have to get those last 3 confirmation blinks.

I have not tried it yet, but I wanted to do the release part without returning the wheel to center, but just let it go. I think the torque sensor is looking for turning force (or complete lack of it), not necessarily a 12 oclock position of the wheel.

I would try this yourself as well.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:52 AM

Thanks a lot,will try your hints on friday when i get the car back and come back with results...Thanks again billman..
Old 08-13-2019, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by kobus
Thanks a lot,will try your hints on friday when i get the car back and come back with results...Thanks again billman..
Hey, did you have any luck getting yours to reset? I have the exact same problem except mines hard to turn to the left and also not getting the last bit of flashes to confirm reset.