S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

S2K hybrid in the works

Old 02-26-2005, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2K hybrid in the works

Hi guys I'm new to the board.

I drive an AE86 SR5 and I also own a AE86 GTS that is pending sale. I plan to swap a F20C and its tranny into the SR5 and do up the body to make it a show/drift/highway battle car (projected power to weight ratio will be better than a Euro spec BMW M3 CSL). I found a F20C power plant at the local yards asking 6K Canadian for engine + tranny + ECU + alternators + ignitor and all that shat. I don't know much about honda motors (other than it makes whack load of horses out of tiny displacements), so I thought I'd come and discuss with the gurus here.

So long story short I would like to know the following information:
What is the S2000 fuel pump LPH? I'm wondering if the 4AGE fuel pump will suffice.
Is the S2000 computer internally equipped with immobilizer? If so what can I do to bypass it?
how many parts are essential in powering the engine that are not visibly "at one" with the engine?

thanks for your time.

This is how I hope mine will end up...

The cool thing is with a tiny engine like a F20C the engine and transmission sits like a proper FMR vehicle. Which will make the car's weight balance even better than factory.
Old 02-26-2005, 11:06 AM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

Buy a Helm Service manual, and ETM. These will be invaluable in this swap.

You can use a standalone AEM EMS, or Mugen ECU to avoid the immobilizer.

Otherwise you will have to transplant the entire system into the AE86. You will need a key that matches the donor PCM, or have a key programmed to it. If the PCM is from a wrecked car, you will need that car's VIN to allow programming.

I'd use a Walbro 255lph pump. They are cheap, any much newer than the 86's.
Old 02-26-2005, 11:32 AM

If I can find a donor car that actually still have its keys and remote I'd be set to go right?
Do I need any identifications if I go to a dealer and ask for an immobilizer remote made?

I have the factory service manual for S2K on a CD...
Old 02-26-2005, 11:38 AM

three words..."your FOCKIN CARZY"...lol
Old 02-26-2005, 11:40 AM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

It's up to the dealer to set policy on programming keys. You may or may not find a dealer willing to help. You will need the immobilzer reciever ring as well as the wiring to connect it to the PCM.

Youl will also have to transplant all of the OBDII emmisions controls, otherwise deal with the assorted DTC's due to there abscense. The EMS is a better way to go with a swap like this.
Old 02-26-2005, 12:20 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You do know that the s2000 tranny will not fit in the AE86 shell. You need to do a lot of fabrication work to the passenger compartment in order to get the tranny to fit. But anyway, I would contact Gabe at T3 since he's already done the swap and see if he can give you any advice. A Japanese ECU or a stand alone ECU will avoid the immobilizer issue.
Old 02-26-2005, 07:00 PM

Thanks for the help guys....
those EBDII sensors.... are they all bunched up in the exhaust system??

I'm trying to pull this off with a complete S2000 that wrapped a pole (yet frame has not reached the engine) It's a 2002 model that got totalled in October 2004...

I'm allowed to pull whatever is needed to keep the engine running, is it too much trouble to get all the EBDII sensors off the car? The one thing that would really not work I'd think is the gas tank pressure sensor (can't fit that into the 86 tank apparently)

Is there a chip anywhere that I can install into the stock ECU to bypass all the EBDII bullshit? That would save my day. Otherwise I guess I'll have to leave out the ECU and just buy a second hand EMS.... How hard is it to make the AEM EMS work just like an S2000 stock ECU? do they have adaptor mid-harnesses to align all the pinups from S2000 harness to AEM EMS?? More info would be appreciated.

I am well aware of the needed cockpit modifications I have plans for it my machinist will take care of the Toyota side of things.
Old 02-26-2005, 08:24 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

There are no easy bypasses for the OBDII Emmisions controls or the Immoblizer, other than a AEM EMS.

There are many emmisions control systems throughout the car. Judging from your posts I don't think you're prepared to swap all of the S2k's systems to your Yota. It will be easier and cheaper in the long run to use the AEM EMS.
Old 02-26-2005, 09:04 PM

Wait a minute so if I do not plug in ANY of the OBDII sensor the engine will not run? Like usually cars are designed so that when some unessential system fails (in this case OBDII emission crapola) the engine will still run (if possible) to at least get the driver to the garage right? That's how Toyota thinks it should work anyway.... (say your gas tank is unpressurized one day during driving the car will show CEL but it won't suddenly stop driving......right?)

So if I unplug every emission sensor should it not only just give me constant engine check light without affecting the performance of the engine? Well I guess I should read it up the manual first before I will know for sure....

Also what's "DTC" mean?

OBDII is bullshit.
Old 02-26-2005, 10:06 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Will it run with all of the emmisons controls removed, probably. But if the CEL is on all the time and you have a real problem with the engine you won't know about it.

DTC= Diagnostic trouble code

OBDII isn't BS, It's required by law and keeps the air clean.

Quick Reply: S2K hybrid in the works