S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

s2k help please

Old 06-01-2013, 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default s2k help please

Hi s2ki community i have a quick question i have an 05 s2k i bought it at 3.5k miles and its at 23k miles now and sometimes the car does this shaking thing for like 2-3 seconds, basically the whole car vibrates. Does anybody know if i need to replace anything like anything at all from fluids to anything if anyone knows any input will be appreciated thanks
Old 06-01-2013, 03:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When exactly does it shake? under what conditions?

For example: Driving down the highway? in stop and go traffic? when you press the clutch in? when you let the clutch out from a stop and the car stalls?

Describe what and when you're feeling it, more information is required.

But if I had to offer some solution right now, quit driving over bumpy pavement. That will stop the car from shaking.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Arro

For example: Driving down the highway? in stop and go traffic? when you press the clutch in? when you let the clutch out from a stop and the car stalls?

But if I had to offer some solution right now, quit driving over bumpy pavement. That will stop the car from shaking.
lol thanks for the reply and its when im in first gear stopped or its in neutral and at a stop it shakes for like 2 seconds then stops and i havent done any maintenance but oil changes on it do i need to change anything in the car?
Old 06-01-2013, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by AlecsS2k
Originally Posted by Arro' timestamp='1370128007' post='22580826

lol thanks for the reply and its when im in first gear stopped or its in neutral and at a stop it shakes for like 2 seconds then stops and i havent done any maintenance but oil changes on it do i need to change anything in the car?
I'm wondering about this as well. Could it be the idle?

It happens to my S as well, very seldom though.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most likely it's heat soak.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by s2k-tilldeath
please explain what that is
Old 06-02-2013, 05:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AlecsS2k
Originally Posted by s2k-tilldeath' timestamp='1370156248' post='22581261
please explain what that is
it's where the air that's being sucked in by the intake is much hotter = less dense = less oxygen. The engine starts to bog, causing a shake, then idle will jump up higher and it will smooth out.

Question: does your idle change at all when this happens? does it drop a hair then come back up? You might need to clean your MAF sensor
Old 06-02-2013, 11:38 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The problem is very common when temps pick up. Your car has an onboard engine control management system known as OBD-II (short for on board diagnostic version 2). The system optimizes performance from an emissions standpoint. OBD-I was specific to emissions while the newer OBD-II allowed the manufacturers to build on the platform. Now to your shake. OBD-II monitors both long term fuel trim (LTFT) and Short term fuel trim STFT). When you start the car it defaults to STFT taking into account the air temp, elevation, etc. The cars goal is to maintain a 14:7 air to fuel ratio ( known as stoichiometry). This is optimal for emissions. The secondary air pump aids in achieving this proper ratio while the car is heating up. On the other hand the LTFT has a much longer sample time and looks, for se, at the average of an entire drive. When you start the car cold, one of the algorithms in OBD-II compares these two fuel trims. If there is a gross imbalance between STFT and LTFT the ECU makes a quick adjustment. As the prior poster noted hot air is less dense (i.e. less air). So the car effectively chops the fuel ("adaptive limit" for tech types) resulting in the engine stutter which results in the vibration you feel at the stop. The "problem" will self correct in a week or two depending on how often you drive. If it really bothers you you can take it to PEP Boys or another shop and have them clear your cars keep alive memory (KAM) by clearing OBD with a Scan Tool; which will reset the trims to neutral. Frankly you car is fine.....just ride it out. It a right of summer passage ).

Utah

P.S. If the car stalls out at stop you may have a dirty manifold absolute pressure sensor (MAP- "MAF" in prior post was a typo) which is a different issue, with different symptoms. If it is stalling at stop look at "MAP whack" in the Under the Hood FAQ. There is also a Honda service bulletin on the MAP whack. in short if you a stalling clean the MAP and zip tie it to keep it in place during vibration. I include this info for those who are stalling and have an unrelated issue.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by s2k-tilldeath
To the OP,

I get this shuttering too, especially when I had the stock air box in the Texas summers. I still experience it very infrequently since I installed my CT Eng intake. It's no big deal like was mentioned earlier in the thread. Welcome to the S2000!