S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

S2K front wheel air strakes

Old 07-27-2008, 06:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up S2K front wheel air strakes

Hi All !!

I noticed I had a flap right in front of both front wheels. These flaps were dangling a bit. On closer inspection I noticed that each flap was dangling because they were mounted on only one of two mounting points because the other was broken. Probably they got hit when going over some speed-bump. I didn't think twice about removing them, wondering what was their function only to find out off the Honda service manual that they are air strakes for "aerodynamic stability".

My question to you is just how important / functional are they ? (i.e. would driving the car without them be a serious safety concern, possibly causing front-end lift-off or something of the sort ?)

Regards,

Pfspeeddemon

Old 07-27-2008, 07:44 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You would have to drive your car at high speed before their absence would have any negative effect. I would replace them if you spend a lot of time on the highway.
I'm fairly certain their absence alone won't cause front end lift. They likely function to contribute to lateral stability at speed by preventing air turbulence from entering the wheel well.
Additionally, excessive pressure build up in the wheel well can effect steering response. Wheels and tires move a lot of air at speed which can "dam" up in the wheel well. This is one problem with a closed wheel design. You've probably noticed a number of closed wheel race car designs that have louvers or slots designed into the top of the fender, or vertically - forward the front door seam. These help dissipate pressure that builds up in the wheel well.
The plastic strakes probably help reduce some of the pressure build up as well. I suppose excessive pressure build up could contribute to some front end lift in this circumstance - however, you'd have to be going pretty fast to see this due to the absence of those strakes.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:51 AM

Hi slipstream444 and thanks !

No chance of doing that here then ! No highways here ! My elder brother is of the same opinion as you are. However, I do occassionally hit 100mph for about 5 to 7secs. Would I be fine for just that short duration ?

Regards,

pfspeeddemon

Old 07-27-2008, 08:19 AM

Here's the legal part: I'm in no way giving you license to, approving of, or telling you in any way to drive at speeds above your legal limits (caveat). With that out of the way...
Hypothetically speaking ( ), I would check the stability of the car at several speeds approaching your target speed, before blasting up to high speeds. I would avoid high speed driving anywhere you may have to push the lateral stability of your car. One possible consequence of removing those strakes is your car may unexpectedly pull toward the direction you're attempting to steer. Initially it may take more effort to steer away from center, and then unexpectedly diverge in that direction, almost like your tire catches a rut and tracks (pulls) in that direction. It may do the opposite - I'm only theorizing. The strakes may only have effect at speeds in excess of what you're talking about. You'll be better equipped to handle this type of situation as long as you're mindful of the possibility your car may not handle as expected. Just be careful please!
Old 07-27-2008, 08:41 AM

Hello again slipstream444 !

Rest assured you are not speaking to an 18yr-old boy-racer here ! I'm quite old and mature (well, a 47yr-old boy-racer, ok ?) . I have had the car for only 2months and I am still learning how to handle it. I am very aware of its handling vices .

Given the state of our roads, the car already felt laterally unstable even with the strakes on. The handling didn't get worse without them. It's just the state of our roads and the fact that there is nowhere to enjoy such a performance car on such a small island as Malta. Personally, I would like to get them refitted. I just need to find the time and effort to get the car jacked up or onto some ramps so that I can see how I can repair / modify the damaged mounting points.

Thank you for your great advice.

pfspeeddemon

Old 07-27-2008, 09:03 AM

Got ya - I hope I didn't sound like I was talking down in any way - that was not at all my intent.
I just try to be careful in what and how I make recommendations due to the fact there are those individuals that may blame you for their poor decisions. This is generally not the case - but it happens more than it should. Subsequently, I also heavily recommend everyone on this site utilize "the caveat" when making recommendations or suggestions due to this fact.

I'll be a 40 yr old 'boy racer' in the very, very near future myself .

On a side note - I look forward to visiting Malta next year. I have a friend who works in the diplomatic world and will be moving there next year, and I plan on taking advantage of a free place to stay while on holiday!
Cheers!
Old 07-27-2008, 09:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that sounds ridiculous, the front side strakes are most likely a solid mud flap and its effect aerodynamically might be felt at what 200 mph? are we talking about the same thing?
Old 07-27-2008, 09:31 AM

well when i got my S2 the dealer remove them i dont know why.
I have a new set but never put then on cause i dont have an idea how. i do alot of highway driving every night and do about 100 110. When i didnt have the lip it lift a bit but after i put te lip that stoped. I dont know if when i put the flap if it will add to that
Old 07-27-2008, 09:32 AM

NO NO ! S2Kaok. Flaps / strakes are right in front of front wheels on inner fenders ! OK ?

TX

Old 07-27-2008, 11:28 AM

i removed mine about 8 months ago cuz they hit my driveway pulling in and out.....havent noticed any negative handiling, they only stick down about an inch below my oem lip....

Quick Reply: S2K front wheel air strakes