S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

S2k frame needs to bend?

Old 09-19-2005, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2k frame needs to bend?

I always wondered why a $30k car never came with a front strut bar. I was just informed by a friend that the s2000's frame needs a little bending and that's why they placed most of the bars in the rear and mid section. Adding the front strut tower bar didn't seem to make any different at all in my car, is this because it really doesn't need it. So adding anything else x-tra will stiffen the frame or chassis to an unnecessary point? I just ordered by x-brace and well i'm a bit concerned. Input, opinions...comments no crap please. Thank you
Old 09-19-2005, 06:21 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Many people who buy an x-brace say it makes a difference. Many say it doesn't.

Did your friend say why the frame needs to bend?

I was just thinking about adding bars and an x-brace myself.

The only thing that makes me think they're not necessary is that Mugen (I know, I know Mugen isn't the altar of Honda racing) doesn't have bars or an x-brace in their lineup. They do have replacement sway bars though. Mugen makes bars for other Hondas/Acuras, but not the S. Comptech is a very qualified race company and they have bars and an x-brace for the S. So, who is right?
Old 09-19-2005, 08:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No offense, but I think your friend is fulla shit. Stiffness and rigidity are two of the most sought-after characteristics in a sports car. The more a metal frame bends, the more it fatigues over time, and the more it bends. By adding various braces to the car, it eliminates, or significantly reduces, any bending of the frame. The stiffer a car's chassis, the better a the foundation upon which the rest of the car can be constructed. This directly equates to better handling, braking, and acceleration. Adding those braces may or may not make a quantitative difference in the performance characteristics of a car, but they sure as hell can't hurt!

Bottom line: Stiff= , Flex=
Old 09-19-2005, 10:37 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

No one builds spring into the frame of a car. You want it as rigid as possible and then you tune it by getting the shocks and springs right.

The reasons the S doesn't come with a strut tower brace is two fold:
1) Not many cars scome with them from the factory
2) The S doesn't have struts!

Those aren't strut towers, they are shock towers. They don't control the geometry of the suspension. Our car uses double A-frame or wishbone suspension so its geometry is locked where they connect to the chassis.

It's amazing how friends always come with mouths but not necessarily with brains.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks alot for clarifying this, i had just ordered my x-brace and damn when he told me this i was a bit concerned. The frame of the car is suppose to be as rigid or unflexible as possible? Thanks to all for your facts/opinions, i learned new everyday from here.