S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

s2k dont want to start

Old 12-29-2007, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default s2k dont want to start

a couple of days ago my s2k started makeinga knocking noise thought it was the valves or a rod bearing. went to take it to a shop and it wont start the fuelpump nothing wants to turn on all it does is act like the battery has no cold canking amps it just 12 volts. tried to jump it still does the same thing does anyone know what it could be......
Old 12-29-2007, 04:24 PM

siezed piston?
Old 12-29-2007, 05:24 PM

i have the same problem... s2k wont start..but my battery is bad..and im goin to replace it..but when i try to jump it..same thing.. it will just crank over like it wants to start...it acts like it wants to start but it doesn't..and then i replaced the spark plugs becauset they looked fouled..but now i dunno what to do....

i was driving home one night..and then just downed it to 3rd then it just started to run really rough and felt like it was missfiring....CEL like was flashing ..and when i would stop it would completly die..and then when i try to start it up again..it would crank and crank and crank then start up after... then i parked it and tried jumping it the next day.. it wont start..

i need help...

PLS HELP
Old 12-29-2007, 05:30 PM

maybe the immobilizer? I'm guessing so I cant tell you for sure. That has happened to us before.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:19 PM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

both of you guys need to do a compression/leakdown test...to rule out major issues/damage.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:35 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1stook2c,Dec 29 2007, 09:24 PM
i have the same problem... s2k wont start..but my battery is bad..and im goin to replace it..but when i try to jump it..same thing.. it will just crank over like it wants to start...it acts like it wants to start but it doesn't..and then i replaced the spark plugs becauset they looked fouled..but now i dunno what to do....

i was driving home one night..and then just downed it to 3rd then it just started to run really rough and felt like it was missfiring....CEL like was flashing ..and when i would stop it would completly die..and then when i try to start it up again..it would crank and crank and crank then start up after... then i parked it and tried jumping it the next day.. it wont start..

i need help...

PLS HELP
You should probably start your own thread.

But...how fast were you going when you "just downed it to 3rd"? And what mods to your car?

You may have over-revved the car when you downshifted and bent a valve.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jyeung528,Dec 30 2007, 12:19 AM
both of you guys need to do a compression/leakdown test...to rule out major issues/damage.
Both of you guys need to try a fresh and new battery first. That's a lot cheaper than a compression and leakdown test, and it's the number one cause of "car won't start" problems.

However, the "just downed it to third" thing is probably the real cause for "1stook2c". Don't be in denial on this sort of thing. If you overreved the engine it may be fixable right now. If you keep driving it with damage, you are bound to lose the entire engine.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:43 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kridin,Dec 29 2007, 05:07 PM
a couple of days ago my s2k started makeinga knocking noise thought it was the valves or a rod bearing. went to take it to a shop and it wont start the fuelpump nothing wants to turn on all it does is act like the battery has no cold canking amps it just 12 volts. tried to jump it still does the same thing does anyone know what it could be......
The knocking issue may be unrelated to the issue where nothing wants to turn on. Even if your motor was completely seized, the battery should power up the dash, lights, etc.

Remove the battery entirely and hook the car up to a battery you know is good to see if you can get power.

As for the knocking...if your car is making that kind of sound, it would probably be best to tow it so as not to damage the engine further. Otherwise, a rod knock might turn into a cracked block should the rod let go and get shoved out the side of the block.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by 1stook2c,Dec 29 2007, 09:24 PM

i need help...

PLS HELP
When the CEL is blinking you should turn off the ignition IMMEDIATELY and get the car on a flatbed, as the blinking CEL indicates there is a serious problem. Continuing to run the engine and starting it up again could cause catastrophic damage to your engine and/or complete engine failure.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Dec 30 2007, 09:39 AM
Both of you guys need to try a fresh and new battery first. That's a lot cheaper than a compression and leakdown test, and it's the number one cause of "car won't start" problems.

However, the "just downed it to third" thing is probably the real cause for "1stook2c". Don't be in denial on this sort of thing. If you overreved the engine it may be fixable right now. If you keep driving it with damage, you are bound to lose the entire engine.
A flashing CEL doesn't sound like a dead battery issue. From your explanation of what happened, it sounds like you mechanically over-revved the engine. I would pop the valve cover off and inspect the retainers and valve clearance. If not a leakdown/compression test (probably a good idea), I would then probably pop off the head as well to inspect what's going on on the inside. Pull the CEL code as well, as this should give you a general idea of the problem.