S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

S2k died on me today

Old 11-14-2009, 11:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy S2k died on me today

Alright so i live in va, and we just had a pretty bad storm so my car sat in the garage for about a week straight, i went to take her out today and everything was fine. then like 2 hrs after we had been riding around the idle started acting up. i pulled over into a shopping center to check it out. everything looked fine. i sat there for a while, and watched it go from 1100 to 1000 to 700 then the whole car shook went to 600 then about 550.
then it just died.

started it back up rev'd it a lil everything seemed fine. so i continued driving. pulled up to the next light it went from 1200 to 550, and almost stalled again. i had to keep my foot on the gas to keep the rpms up otherwise it'll just die.

Anyone know what could be the problem???
its a stock motor only thing it currently has is a cai

none of the check engine lights are on or anything.

I just bought this car not even a month ago and its already having major problems like this.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:06 AM

Maybe the car has sucked up water at some point due to its having a CAI and it raining a lot there. It can cause all kinds of damage.

Just an idea.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:07 AM

wow, that sound annoying.. make sure your spark plugs are in tight? plenty of gas? hope its not the ecu. good luck!
Old 11-15-2009, 12:10 AM

^^^
I'm having the same Idea. Bad storms + water + cold air intake = bad. Although your car was sitting In the garage maybe you might of driven over so big puddles of water and It's possible that your intake sucked up some water. I've never had this happen to me before and I'm not sure how It would react If It did suck In water. Any one have any more details on hyrdo lock?
Old 11-15-2009, 12:16 AM

Yep everything tightened down. and nope i always watch for any puddles. because i know how low it sits and how easily it can suck up water. it sat in the garage the entire time during the storm.

also it had plenty of gas above a half tank. just had the oil changed the day before the storm.

Could it possibly be a fried head?
Old 11-15-2009, 12:17 AM

And also it just sounds terrible when i start it up, it has like a winding noise. no clue what it is.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:21 AM

I dount your head Is fried. I also just bought my car about a month ago. I'm not to familiar with N/A cars. I had a Evo 9 before, but I'm pretty sure your head Isn't friend. Was your car Idling weird before you left your garage? Also what year Is your car and how many miles?
Old 11-15-2009, 12:27 AM

Nope it was fine when i left. no problems at all.
and its a 2002 with 76,000 miles.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:30 AM

Your car is likely having a "brain fart". It can't resolve all the sensor inputs to make for a steady idle during certain atmospheric conditions. Many, many S2000s do this.

TRY NOT to "help" it by giving it gas when it does this. This additional TPS input will only continue to confuse the ECU even further and it will never learn. On average, it WILL learn if you just leave it alone and let it stumble and die. Then, WITHOUT touching the gas, fire it back up and let it stabilize on its own. Same goes for if it only stumbles. DON'T touch the gas till it recovers on its own. It may take several driving episodes before it learns, but since you only drive it once in a while, it may take weeks.
Additionally, long highway driving tends to make the ECU even more confused and when you finally get back into slower, city driving, the "brain fart" happens again.
You must keep in mind that this engine is a very high output, high strung one. Honda has done a great job in making it daily driveable, but there are circumstances whereby the ECU has to deal with so much information just to be able to run a little 4 banger and ring out 240 HP, that at times, something's got to give. This stumbling is one of them.

Needless to say, it is up to the owner to ensure that all parts of the engine is well maintained as even the slightest deficiency can amplify the ECU's workload. Make sure your plugs are in good condition and gapped correctly. Air filter good? Injectors get a routine dose of cleaner? 93 Octane gas can still be dirty gas if you filled up near the bottom of the gas station's tank that day or right after the tanker truck disturbed all the sediment with its fill. A few tanks like this and your filter sock will be so plugged, your fuel pressure will be unacceptable. How dirty is the inside of your throttle body area? If it's really dirty, then maybe that grunge is affecting how the MAP sensor is reading, not to mention fouling up the Idle Air Control system. Do you have too much slack in your throttle cable? How's your PCV valve? Ever changed it? So many things can add to the ECU's brain fart and make it an aneurism.
Yes, do the "MAP Whack", primarily wiggling vigorously on the wiring harness and implementing a better way to secure it (zip tie).

Try taking a flat screw driver and lightly tap on your map sensor. It's located on top of the throttle body.

This information Is on S2KCA
http://forums.s2kca.com/showthread.php?t=16066
Old 11-15-2009, 12:33 AM

Used the Search button on the forum. I just searched "Idle Problem" and It directed me to a bunch of links that will help you out.

Quick Reply: S2k died on me today