S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

S2000 Won't start, I can't figure it out

Old 11-03-2021, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2000 Won't start, I can't figure it out

A couple days ago my car randomly decided it wasn't going to start anymore. Saturday it started fine, no problems, then on Sunday I went to start it in the morning and it cranked, turned over for about a second and then died. That's what it been doing, I haven't been able to get it to run since. I have since replaced the fuel pump and MAP sensor and it still won't start. Just does the same, crank, turnover briefly and then dies. The spark plugs, ignition coils and battery are all less than a year old with about 11,000 miles driven since install. I replaced the fuel pump because I was going to replace it soon anyways because I'm not sure how old it was and the MAP sensor was honestly a shot in the dark trying to solve this problem. My S2k is a 2002 with 99,000 miles with no modifications other than a custom exhaust and a K&N intake. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 11-03-2021, 02:26 PM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Turning over and cranking are synonymous.

The proper phrasing is fires up. As in, it cranks, then fires up for a second, then dies (or, it turns over fine, fires up, but then dies).

Any codes or cel?

What happens if someone else starts it, and you spray some shots of starting fluid down its throat to try and keep it running?

This will help rule out, or in, fuel delivery issue.

If it more or less keeps running so long as you feed it shots of starting fluid spray, you have a fuel issue. If no change, still fires up then dies, you can rule out fuel. Look elsewhere.
Old 11-03-2021, 03:41 PM

No codes or cel. I haven't tried the starting fluid, I'll try it and see if it will run that way.
Old 11-03-2021, 04:56 PM

Received 1,377 Likes on 1,029 Posts

Is there a green key icon flashing on the dash?

Did you try a different key?
Old 11-03-2021, 07:13 PM

Shot at the dark here but have you replaced the battery?
Old 11-03-2021, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by B serious
Is there a green key icon flashing on the dash?

Did you try a different key?
Yeah, the green key flashes on the dash. I tried both my sets of keys and replaced the batteries in both just in case, but still no start.
Old 11-03-2021, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by NoXiDe
Shot at the dark here but have you replaced the battery?
Yes, the battery is only about 7 months old. I had it tested just in case and it's totally fine
Old 11-04-2021, 04:22 AM

Received 419 Likes on 383 Posts

Could try another ignition relay if you have one you could borrow to test
Old 11-04-2021, 05:07 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Originally Posted by fakram
A couple days ago my car randomly decided it wasn't going to start anymore. Saturday it started fine, no problems, then on Sunday I went to start it in the morning and it cranked, turned over for about a second and then died. That's what it been doing, I haven't been able to get it to run since. I have since replaced the fuel pump and MAP sensor and it still won't start. Just does the same, crank, turnover briefly and then dies. The spark plugs, ignition coils and battery are all less than a year old with about 11,000 miles driven since install. I replaced the fuel pump because I was going to replace it soon anyways because I'm not sure how old it was and the MAP sensor was honestly a shot in the dark trying to solve this problem. My S2k is a 2002 with 99,000 miles with no modifications other than a custom exhaust and a K&N intake. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Any correlation between engine dying and clutch pedal application?
Old 11-04-2021, 07:45 AM

Received 1,377 Likes on 1,029 Posts

I think the issue is probably the immobilizer. That's the green flashing light - an immobilizer malfunction.

The battery in the key remote is just for the remote. So...that doesn't matter.

Did something happen to the ECU that it would erase the known keys from memory? Or maybe did something happen to the keys to wipe their ID?

Quick Reply: S2000 Won't start, I can't figure it out