S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

S2000 Ticking noise

Old 01-22-2016, 04:23 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,038 Posts

Hmm... I've never seen an adjustment screw tighten on its own. In any event, no locking nut would not lead the valve to drop into the combustion chamber.
Old 01-23-2016, 04:34 AM

Received 1,441 Likes on 1,073 Posts

When the valve train wears, to the point valve adjustment is required, valves actually get quieter, not noisier. The valve clearances get tighter from wear. Valve train noise is caused by loose clearances.

So often an engine gets a little noisier (back to normal) after a valve adjustment.

That of course assumes just plain wear. If something went wrong, like a valve adjustment nut coming loose, then you could get lots of valve train noise.

My point is, while I think a valve adjustment is a good idea for you now, you need to be looking for issues while valve cover is off besides just typical tight clearances.

Look for other things that could be wrong. If somehow you find excessively loose valves, that could be your noise.

Sent from my SM-G920P using IB AutoGroup
Old 01-25-2016, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
When the valve train wears, to the point valve adjustment is required, valves actually get quieter, not noisier. The valve clearances get tighter from wear. Valve train noise is caused by loose clearances.

So often an engine gets a little noisier (back to normal) after a valve adjustment.

That of course assumes just plain wear. If something went wrong, like a valve adjustment nut coming loose, then you could get lots of valve train noise.

My point is, while I think a valve adjustment is a good idea for you now, you need to be looking for issues while valve cover is off besides just typical tight clearances.

Look for other things that could be wrong. If somehow you find excessively loose valves, that could be your noise.

What else would you suggest the noise could be coming from? The noise was very faint at first and slowing got louder and louder so i decided to replace the timing chain tensioner but that didn't get rid of the noise at all, didnt even make a difference to be honest.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:14 PM

Received 126 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by shanepotter
Originally Posted by Car Analogy' timestamp='1453556077' post='23860710

What else would you suggest the noise could be coming from? The noise was very faint at first and slowing got louder and louder so i decided to replace the timing chain tensioner but that didn't get rid of the noise at all, didnt even make a difference to be honest.
Did you do the valve adjustment yet?
Old 01-26-2016, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Soviet
Originally Posted by shanepotter' timestamp='1453795824' post='23862772
[quote name='Car Analogy' timestamp='1453556077' post='23860710']

Did you do the valve adjustment yet?
[/quote]

Not yet. I am going to barrow my friends torque wrench tomorrow and get it done.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:33 PM

do valve adjust. adjust to lowest spec
i also hear ur pulley bearing is making sharp noise
u might wanna replace the bearing n change ur serpentine belt cuz it looks really old
Old 01-28-2016, 02:15 AM

Did the valve adjustment last night. Fixed the really loud chattering noise but i can still hear it ticking. Any ideas?