S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

S2000 Ticking noise

Old 01-16-2016, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2000 Ticking noise

Hey guys recently i started to notice some of what i believed was noise coming from the timing chain so i decided to replace the timing chain tensioer as i thought this would fix my problem. Unfortunetly the ticking noise did not go away!! Im going to adjust the the valves next week sometime just to make sure thats not the culprit here. Heres a link to a video of my car, id like to know what others think. Video was taken after my car was warmed up and drivin around.

http://youtu.be/wqTp2djm0k4
Old 01-16-2016, 10:53 PM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wqTp2djm0k4
Not sure if the other link works
Old 01-16-2016, 11:44 PM

How are your oil levels?

I think the valve adjustment will help, sometimes mine makes a similar level of ticking after driving.
Old 01-16-2016, 11:48 PM

Oil is completely full, i changed it when i put the new timing chain tensioner in. And yea im really hoping the valve adjustment gets rid of the noise.
Old 01-17-2016, 05:40 PM

Received 126 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by shanepotter
Oil is completely full, i changed it when i put the new timing chain tensioner in. And yea im really hoping the valve adjustment gets rid of the noise.
I don't hear anything abnormal but listened on mobile. If you are unsure when the last valve adjustment was done you should definitely do it.

Would be interested in hearing the sound when revving also
Old 01-19-2016, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Soviet
Originally Posted by shanepotter' timestamp='1453020526' post='23854505
I don't hear anything abnormal but listened on mobile. If you are unsure when the last valve adjustment was done you should definitely do it.

I'm gonna adjust the valves this Friday but Im not sure if its gonna fix my problem. Here is a video of it idling/revving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9rRW0xQOVs
Old 01-19-2016, 11:42 PM

Received 126 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Soviet' timestamp='1453084856' post='23855153
[quote name='shanepotter' timestamp='1453020526' post='23854505']

I'm gonna adjust the valves this Friday but Im not sure if its gonna fix my problem. Here is a video of it idling/revving.

[/quote]

Sounds like really loose valves, or potentially a missing valve adjustment nut.

Your car sounds a lot like mine did a while ago. Check it out. Adjust those valves ASAP!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTpPGoKME18[/media]
Old 01-22-2016, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Soviet' timestamp='1453084856' post='23855153
[quote name='shanepotter' timestamp='1453020526' post='23854505']

[/quote]

try not to drive it too hard or maybe even at all until you do the adjustment, if you can. Not that that's NECESSARY strictly speaking, but I just had a similar issue, and should have done a valve adjustment sooner but instead the lock nut broke loose and the valve dropped and my engine is pretty messed up right now and in need of replacement. It's totally unlikely that'll happen because I'm still not sure what EXACTLY caused my valve to drop but just do the adjustment first anyway Good luck!
Old 01-22-2016, 02:16 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Originally Posted by nimbus2k
try not to drive it too hard or maybe even at all until you do the adjustment, if you can. Not that that's NECESSARY strictly speaking, but I just had a similar issue, and should have done a valve adjustment sooner but instead the lock nut broke loose and the valve dropped and my engine is pretty messed up right now and in need of replacement. It's totally unlikely that'll happen because I'm still not sure what EXACTLY caused my valve to drop but just do the adjustment first anyway Good luck!

Nimbus, even if the adjustment nut fell off, the valve associated with it will not fall into the combustion chamber. If anything, the lash tolerance = too wide and the valve won't open at all.

The valve retainer and/or cotters would need to fail, in order for the valve to drop into the cylinder. Also, if you set the cam timing off --- you can run the risk of the piston hitting the valve and causing damage. Mechanical over-revving may cause damage to the retainer or float the valve.
Old 01-22-2016, 02:37 PM

Received 480 Likes on 392 Posts

It can go either way, the screw is tapered at the bottom so it cannot back out with the rocker arms installed. It can also tighten itself all the way however.

Quick Reply: S2000 Ticking noise