S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

S2000 Test Pipe and O2 Sensor.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2000 Test Pipe and O2 Sensor.

Hi Guys

I had a Skunk2 test pipe installed in my S2000 on Friday, during the removal of the cat the installer completely stripped the O2 sensor's thread. I've now put a bolt in the actual hole where its meant to go as a short term remedy.

Can any damage be caused running without this sensor, besides the CEL - Its going to take 8-weeks to get one her.

Thanks

EDIT: I see you can get O2 sensors off ebay - has anyone used them? And can you recommend a specific brand? The Honda OEM sensor is $300 in South Africa - I see the eBay ones are around $75.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:28 PM

the secondary o2 sensor only monitors emissions. in other words, the sensor on the cat is there to monitor the threshold of cat efficiency. the check engine light turns on when it sees that the sensor is reading below threshold and is a reminder to replace the cat becasue it is misfunctioning (not properly filtering).

you are fine. driving around with the cel for the cat will not damage the motor in any way. if it was the primary sensor, the one on the header was damaged then it would cause the car to go in limp mode (safe mode etc.).

what brand is the cheap one?
Old 10-09-2009, 11:35 PM

Thanks - does it not cause the car to run rich? One of the mechanical guys at Honda over here told me this - but I wouldn't be surprised if he was wrong.

There are quite a few makes, some claim to be OEM, others are Walker, Denso, Sixity

Sixity:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-O2-Oxyg...#ht_3033wt_1165

Walker:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WALKER-O2-O...sQ5fAccessories
Old 10-10-2009, 03:24 AM

when the car goes into 'limp mode' or safe mode, (the general assumption is) it tends to dump more fuel/retard timing. im not %100 sure on specifically what honda's ecu for the s2k does in limp mode but it seems to me it is what the general consensus believes. im not saying it does or doesn't...

but it makes sense that they have integrated such a feature into the ecu, and I'm sure it does exist.

anyhow, you would only be faced with the scenario if the primary o2 sensor went out-the sensor that the ecu pays the most attention to-in regards of the air/fuel mixture.

the sensor your concerned about is the secondary, o2 sensor that monitors the efficiency flow of the catalytic converter. i know for sure that it has no effect on the ecu transitioning to 'safe mode'.

If I was in the same boat as you I would probably go for the Denso brand. To be honest, I haven't heard of any of the other brands you listed but it doesn't mean they couldn't be of good quality.

I wonder if any other members can chime in on any of the other brands...
Old 10-10-2009, 04:11 AM

Thanks - I appreciate the time taken to respond - don't get a lot of that these days

Do you, or anyone know if the primary O2 sensor is the same as the secondary one? If it is, it might be worth while ordering a new one as above, and swapping the two around... having the newer sensor as primary.

Just glad I found an alternative to the Honda one over here, $300 - I'm still going to try and get the installer to cover this though.

Was about 98% done with restoring my S2000 to an almost new condition - and now this hiccup.

Just done the clutch, tires, brakes, new roof, new audio system, wind deflector, etc, etc... so an extra $300 adds up.