S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

S2000 Smog fail? wha?

Old 02-10-2012, 12:21 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250
Most s2ks will complete all monitors in 10-20 miles tops. I know this from experience. Provided you do some around town driving, and some highway steady cruising above 55mph.

Once the monitors are complete, they will stay that way unless battery power is interrupted.

If a monitor completes, and a fault is found during that trip, it will turn on the CEL. some CEL codes take two trips to set. In other words, the fault must be recognized two trips in a row to consider it a fault and turn on the CEL.

If the back-up fuse is missing or blown, the monitors will reset to INCOMPLETE each time you turn off the key. and since some of the monitors are a two-trip type, they will never complete with a blown/missing fuse.

In NY, a 1996-2000 car can pass the emmissions test with two monitors incomplete. A 2001 and up car is allowed one monitor to be incomplete. Provided there is no CEL.

So lets say you have a 2005 s2k with a bad cat and need to pass inspection. You can clear the CEL, drive around with the scanner hooked up and watch the monitors. Drive till all monitor complete but the CAT monitor, then drive it in for inspection. it will pass.
Good to know. My RSX is getting an occasional P0420 that I don't want to deal with.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:35 AM

Received 1,397 Likes on 837 Posts

Spark plug spacer in the 02 will get rid of your code P0420
Old 02-10-2012, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250
Spark plug spacer in the 02 will get rid of your code P0420
Yeah, I ordered one from Amazon.com on Saturday, arrived Monday. I just haven't gotten around to installing it. I'll wait until it's warm and I'm doing other stuff.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by whiteflash
Ray, are you in CA? If you are, your smog tech doesn't know what he's doing. The ECU is CAN, and the monitors don't need to be set to ready, nor does even a active CEL matter. However I'm not sure if this goes the same for the OP, which is an 05.

I always though it took 300+ miles to reset the monitors? OP when you get a CEL, it sets your monitors to a not-ready state. You have to drive X miles without another CEL, for the monitors to set itself to ready.
Thanks Whiteflash, Dwight, and everyone in this thread! (I am in CA btw)

You were absolutely right. It turns out by smog tech didn't know what the f*** he was doing. I can't blame the guy since he runs a one-man operation there.
I went directly to the Bureau of Automotive's site. Within BAR APPENDIX J they used to have a list of CAN vehicles that are exempt from the OBDII test. Appendix J now directs you to the OBD Clearinghouse. I soon discovered that my '06 is on that list. The tech could have done this research or at least get his list updated.

Hopefully this works out. Otherwise, I'll have to go joy riding along Hwy 1 before I take it back in for smog retesting.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This should be a sticky. Here is what the owner's manual says (from an '06):

Testing of Readiness Codes

If you take your vehicle for a state emissions test shortly after the battery has been disconnected or gone dad, it may not pass the test. This is because of certain "readiness codes" that must be set in the on-board diagnostics for the emissions systems. These codes are erased when the battery is disconnected, and set again only after several days of driving under a variety of conditions.

If the testing facility determines that the readiness codes are not set, you will be required to return at a later date to complete the test. If you must get the vehicle retested within the next two of three days, you can condition the vehicle for retesting by doing the following.
  • Make sure the gas tank is nearly, but not completely, full (around 3/4).
  • Make sure the vehicle has been parked with the engine off for 6 hours or more.
  • Make sure the ambient temperature is between 40°F and 95°F.
  • Without touching the accelerator pedal, start the engine, and let it idle for 20 seconds.
  • Keep the vehicle in Neutral. Increase the engine speed to 2,000 rpm, and hold it there until the temperature gauge rises to at least 1/4 of the scale (about 3 minutes).
  • Select a nearby lightly traveled major highway where you can maintain a speed of 50 to 60 mph (80 to 97 km/h) for at least 20 minutes. Drive on the highway in 5th. Do not use the cruise control. When traffic allows, drive for 90 seconds without moving the accelerator pedal. (Vehicle speed may vary slightly; this is okay.) If you cannot do this for a continuous 90 seconds because of traffic conditions, drive for at least 30 seconds, then repeat it two more times (for a total of 90 seconds).
  • Then drive in city/suburban traffic for at least 10 minutes. When traffic conditions allow, let the vehicle coast for several seconds without using the accelerator pedal or brake pedal.
If the testing facility determines the readiness codes are still not set, see your dealer.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by photog72

If you take your vehicle for a state emissions test shortly after the battery has been disconnected or gone dad, it may not pass the test. This is because of certain "readiness codes" that must be set in the on-board diagnostics for the emissions systems. These codes are erased when the battery is disconnected, and set again only after several days of driving under a variety of conditions.

If the testing facility determines that the readiness codes are not set, you will be required to return at a later date to complete the test. If you must get the vehicle retested within the next two of three days, you can condition the vehicle for retesting by doing the following.
  • Make sure the gas tank is nearly, but not completely, full (around 3/4).
  • Make sure the vehicle has been parked with the engine off for 6 hours or more.
  • Make sure the ambient temperature is between 40°F and 95°F.
  • Without touching the accelerator pedal, start the engine, and let it idle for 20 seconds.
  • Keep the vehicle in Neutral. Increase the engine speed to 2,000 rpm, and hold it there until the temperature gauge rises to at least 1/4 of the scale (about 3 minutes).
  • Select a nearby lightly traveled major highway where you can maintain a speed of 50 to 60 mph (80 to 97 km/h) for at least 20 minutes. Drive on the highway in 5th. Do not use the cruise control. When traffic allows, drive for 90 seconds without moving the accelerator pedal. (Vehicle speed may vary slightly; this is okay.) If you cannot do this for a continuous 90 seconds because of traffic conditions, drive for at least 30 seconds, then repeat it two more times (for a total of 90 seconds).
  • Then drive in city/suburban traffic for at least 10 minutes. When traffic conditions allow, let the vehicle coast for several seconds without using the accelerator pedal or brake pedal.
If the testing facility determines the readiness codes are still not set, see your dealer.
Just went to emissions and failed on Readiness, so I will give this a try out tomorrow!!! Anyone know where the fuse would be? I wanted to check that out as well.

Update:
Hooked up the Hondata and went for a spin, problem was not solved, checked the fuses and they were all ok so not sure what could be the case, I am thinking of pulling the battery cable and then running the readiness cycle again. Anyone recommend something else?
Old 08-18-2014, 07:28 AM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by photog72

[*]Make sure the gas tank is nearly, but not completely, full (around 3/4).[*]Make sure the vehicle has been parked with the engine off for 6 hours or more.[*]Make sure the ambient temperature is between 40°F and 95°F.[*]Without touching the accelerator pedal, start the engine, and let it idle for 20 seconds.[*]Keep the vehicle in Neutral. Increase the engine speed to 2,000 rpm, and hold it there until the temperature gauge rises to at least 1/4 of the scale (about 3 minutes).[*]Select a nearby lightly traveled major highway where you can maintain a speed of 50 to 60 mph (80 to 97 km/h) for at least 20 minutes. Drive on the highway in 5th. Do not use the cruise control. When traffic allows, drive for 90 seconds without moving the accelerator pedal. (Vehicle speed may vary slightly; this is okay.) If you cannot do this for a continuous 90 seconds because of traffic conditions, drive for at least 30 seconds, then repeat it two more times (for a total of 90 seconds).[*]Then drive in city/suburban traffic for at least 10 minutes. When traffic conditions allow, let the vehicle coast for several seconds without using the accelerator pedal or brake pedal.

OR, borrow or rent an odb reader, and drive around until it tells you all the readiness checks are complete. Like Billman said it can be done without a lot of driving.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
OR, borrow or rent an odb reader, and drive around until it tells you all the readiness checks are complete. Like Billman said it can be done without a lot of driving.
I have Hondata and was planning on calling them in a few minutes to see what they recommend, I drove around with the laptop yesterday for about 20-40 miles and still wasn't ready, at this point I am planning on removing the battery terminal and starting over fresh.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:38 PM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Starting over is just going to take even longer. Just re-read what Billman stated a few posts up and follow that. Starting over is not going to get you there quicker, but rather slower.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jojobrown
Originally Posted by Car Analogy' timestamp='1408375685' post='23291552
I have Hondata and was planning on calling them in a few minutes to see what they recommend, I drove around with the laptop yesterday for about 20-40 miles and still wasn't ready, at this point I am planning on removing the battery terminal and starting over fresh.
I have a flashpro and failed emissions for the same reason as the OP when I tried to reflash the ECU and take the car right to emissions. It seems after you reflash you need to go through the same procedure of verifying the monitors as you would if you disconnected the battery or threw a CEL. After I failed I drove the car around for a while and took it back a few days later and it passed.

Quick Reply: S2000 Smog fail? wha?