S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

S2000 shuts off at LEFT cornering drift/hard turn

Old 06-30-2012, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2000 shuts off at LEFT cornering drift/hard turn

Hey guys!

I am into S13 chassis...I guess you can say they are a big deal to me. =)

Anyway, I have a AP1 Honda s2000 as my daily.

I took it out to an event to see if it can slide, as my full time drift car is not finished. I found that, when drifting, it holds the drift perfect(i was expecting horiable things from forum members research.) It slides fine, but right in the middle of a LEFT cornering drift, it shuts OFF. Now, I am highly questioning the fuel pump, and/or gas tank design. Has anyone ran into this problem? IF anyone has had this problem? It would help to know if I need to modify my gas tank, or order a new pump. This is just saying what I THINK is the problem. if anyone has had anything else being the problem...PLEASE hit me up.

Maybe someone into auto x ran into there car shutting off at a hard courner?

I was thinking on trying it with a full tank of gas to see if it is the gas tank design.

I have researched this topic, and i did find someone with a similar problem..but they never answered what it was.

Oh, and I don't care to hear comments about what I do with my car. Eat shit and die if you have anything negitive to say about MY car. If you know the problem...post up.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could be low oil level and the slide is causing the motor to shut down?

Your fuel idea seems logical if you were on a very low tank.

I too slide my s here and there but I have a walbro 255 now and I never really slid hard with the OEM pump

Grab a walbro from hptauto they have a special going for 67 shipped without the install kit (you don't need one for the s use all the stock stuff)
Old 07-01-2012, 05:32 AM

Ive autox'd and tracked both stock fuel pump and with Walbro and never had shit down, actually correct that, i once span out and the car shut off on the track.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

S2000's tend to become fuel-starved during long left hand turns when the gas tank's <1/8 full. I've begun track sessions at just less than a half tank, then had the engine cut off during left-handers (Laguna Seca T2, Thunderhill T2)towards the end of the session.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:39 AM

Ok, i will try it with a full tank. I will post up what happens
Old 07-09-2012, 10:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Obviously I can't speak to the validity of this, but I've even heard of S2000 guys fuel starving on left handers with as much as 3/4 of a tank or more. Your best option is to keep it completely full. From what I've read the fuel tank baffling is horrible. Some of the guys run surge tanks to prevent against this problem. Probably overkill for most NA guys though.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:32 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I too have caught wind of this from others who Autocross Hondas in general. I tend to fill up just before an event, but have forgotten a few times and ran with ~1/4 tank and been fine. I'm sure it is heavily dependent on course design at an autox. I have however seen a few old VW's starve out on course though.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FWIW, I recently experienced fuel starvation as well (at autocross) with a little over half a tank. Of course, its a little different for me since I'm on E85 and quite a bit of boost (17psi). Needless to say I'm sure I would need much more fuel a lot sooner than most S2000 autocrossers.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:14 PM

Okay, i have figured it out. I had a walbro fuel pump, and it had a tiny fuel strainer. I went to my local parts store and got a new oe replacement fuel strainer. PROBLEM GONE! Drifts left, and right perfectly!
Old 09-17-2012, 01:16 PM

Also, my car is not out of gas at the 2 bar mark now.

Quick Reply: S2000 shuts off at LEFT cornering drift/hard turn