S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

S2000 lost some weight yesterday

Old 06-30-2003, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gernby
[B]

Huh?
Old 06-30-2003, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Gernby, it does work. I know from first hand experience

I don't have prices yet, but I believe they are about the same price.

Also YS: I never cut mine, but they do stick up about 3-4" from the top of the battery.
Old 06-30-2003, 05:21 PM

Great post JZR. Lots of good info there. The Odessey 680 I bought has the metal case. Probably could have saved a pound of weight without it, but I wanted the extra heat protection.
Old 06-30-2003, 06:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran one for 3 years on my RX7 with no problems except when I would accidentally leave my interior light on overnigt. It would require a slow charge (2A) for about 8 hours to renew it. You don't want to fast charge it.
Old 06-30-2003, 06:34 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by David b
[B]I ran one for 3 years on my RX7 with no problems except when I would accidentally leave my interior light on overnigt. It would require a slow charge (2A) for about 8 hours to renew it.
Old 06-30-2003, 07:09 PM

I don't know about after all this time, but I just bought a charger that had a 2A cycle on it. It was very inexpensive.

That was the only complaint I had with the battery, it didn't seem to have the capacity of a "full sized" battery. But then again you could mount 2 of them in the same space if you needed that.

i have also wondered about mounting the battery in the space by the spare tire for better weight distribution. But that's a winter project
Old 06-30-2003, 07:22 PM

I stand corrected. I finished reading the link supplied by JZR and it says you can use a 6A charger. I don't know if they have changed the requirements over time or what, but I know they only recommended a 2a because I had to go out and buy a new charger just for the battery.

Anyway a 6A charger would give you a recharge in a decent amount of time.

The battery actually had a longer life than the regular batteries I had been using. Note that I used it for 3 years and it was still working when I sold the car.

An added benefit is that the terminals stay clean. I don't know why, but I never had corrosion.

I noticed in that link that the battery's life expectancy is shortened by heat. A rotary is a hot engine, but the battery is mounted where is gets some fresh air. The S on the other hand mounts it at the rear of the engine bay beside the exhaust. Maybe mounting it in the trunk would be the way to go.
Old 06-30-2003, 07:27 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by spider
[B]

How do you get it slow charged?
Old 07-01-2003, 05:06 AM

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts

A trunk mounted battery would be impractial. You would need a long, heavy gauge power cable which would add a few pounds, and you'd still lose power from the resistance of a long cable. The shorter the cable to the starter, the less resistance and the more CCA available to start the car.

If you really want to save the life of the battery (or restore an old or dead battery), you may want to consider using a desulfator. Do a net search, and you'll find lots of info on the subject. The best known company is PulseTech. But there's SulfaTak, BatteryMINDer, and about a dozen more manufacturers. You just hook it up to the battery, and it pulses a current to the battery, removing the sulfate crystals which cause the battery to go dead. You can even build your own pulse generator with help from http://www.flex.com/~kalepa/desulf.htm. I had a PulseTech unit for years and actually restored dead batteries with it. Unfortunately, my kid borrowed it and fried it. I'm guessing he either hooked it up backwards or used a high-powered battery booster with it attached.
Old 07-01-2003, 05:40 AM

Originally posted by krazik

You didn't push start the car and just let it idle for a bit?
Yeah, but it would then die again in 10 days.

Quick Reply: S2000 lost some weight yesterday