S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

S2000 knock sensor

Old 10-14-2012, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2000 knock sensor

When i bought my s2k It had a check engine light on for a knock sensor so i jacked up the car and went from underneath feeling it with my hands noticed it was barely in and the plug of the knock sensor had broken off from the actual bolt that goes into the block and the plug itself I pushed the sensor back in tightly and I haven't had a check engine light since but i have had a misfire when accelerating sometimes it bogs a little on the acceleration I put new NGK iridium plugs in a week before i messed with the knock sensor i'm almost thinking i Fouled the plugs out i just wanted to see if anyone else might have a idea

thanks
Old 10-15-2012, 09:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Id replace the broken knock sensor.first. These cars run like balls without one.

$130 from Majestic Honda
Old 10-15-2012, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sceanzo
Id replace the broken knock sensor.first. These cars run like balls without one.

$130 from Majestic Honda
But i Plugged it back in pretty firm and haven't gotten a check engine light for it yet but yeah im going to replace it
Old 10-16-2012, 04:42 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would still recommend replacing it as well. I broke mine off during a clutch swap, which is probably how yours got killed.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Real talk
Originally Posted by Sceanzo' timestamp='1350323312' post='22083575

$130 from Majestic Honda
But i Plugged it back in pretty firm and haven't gotten a check engine light for it yet but yeah im going to replace it

That doesn't mean it is fixed. Especially since you said it was broken, All there is inside of it are too little metal prongs that are soldered on the sensor inside.

They might be making enough connection to keep the light off, but not good enough to monitor knock. If it truly is broken, I would start replacing the broken parts first before dumping money elsewhere.

Everyone tends to break these during clutch installs or with starter work. I broke mine when the motor was already out of the car just by unplugging it. I think that the location of it is a factor because it gets so hot and the heat will deteriorate the plastic making it brittle and snap on a whim.

Before I had it fixed, the car idled like crap and VTEC didn't pull worth a damn. Slapped a new sensor in and all is well.