S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

S2000 Engine removal

Old 05-23-2001, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am about to acquire an S2000 engine/ gearbox/ ecu/ differential unit for a 'project' that I am about to start. The Breakers Yard has removed the above items from the donor vehicle but has not (will not!) removed the wiring loom. Does anyone know which bits of the wiring loom I will need if I am to get this engine running in 'another vehicle'?? Also - how do I remove the relevant bits of the wiring loom from the current vehicle without cutting it up with a knife !? Is there an easy way ??
I have looked into getting the service manual from helminc.com but for shipping to the UK will cost $74 (!) - the book only costs $67 !!
Thanks
Richard
Old 05-23-2001, 11:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your looking to put this engine in a 7 type thing I would
measure the engine height, it is very tall !!
Mike at Raven Automotive has stripped a S2000 before
Suggest you search the site for gareth posts your will see how
Old 05-24-2001, 05:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Helm manual won't buy you much. Unless you are going with a standalone management system, you need the stock wiring (at least the engine bay side). Unless you need to keep the low emissions, I'd look into an OBD1 setup from http://www.hondata.com using older Honda parts.

If you're insistent on keeping the stock ECU and NOT hacking wiring, there is no choice- you need the engine and interior harness. I'm not sure you can even split up the interior ECU and body harness, in my experience they are usually one piece in Hondas. I'd ask the yard (or another one) to supply the engine loom and then the interior/ECU loom in their entirety. You should be able to find one willing to supply it, I know yards in the US will. You cna try one from the US, though I suspect being LHD will pose problems (Or ECU is in the driver's kick panel, not sure if it is in the RHD models).

You might try offering the yard more money. I don't see why they would need/want it that bad (it won't do them, or anyone else any good) and I certinaly don't see why they wouldn't put the effort in for the price. If it's the labor, you might offer to do it in person (in the states we call it "pick and pull").