S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

S2000 Coasting Deceleration Noise

Old 01-22-2010, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up S2000 Coasting Deceleration Noise

Hey guys, I just recently bought a used S2000 (55,000 miles).

Before addressing the problem, I will list some of the things done to the car (by previous owners) off of the top of my head just in case they are the contributory causes.

Exhausts: Apexi Dunk
Suspension: Skunk2 Springs
Wheels: 18" Motegi Racing
Needs some Wheel alignment
Steering wheel is heavier than a Prelude or Accord (power steering fluid low maybe? Are there such things? lolol)

Okay, so I'm not sure whether it's the way it's supposed to be, but I have a racing clutch (I do not know the brand because previous owner got it from another). Anyways, when I'm in 3rd or 4th, and possibly 2nd gear, and I let go of the gas to "coast," there is a whining noise, something a bit similar to my front lip is scraping the floor until it reaches 3,000 RPM or so. When it goes below 3,000 RPM it disappears and just sounds like a typical deceleration. If I press either the brake or the gas, the noise goes away. This does not occur in accelerations.

Do you have any clue as to what this is? Could I need a transmission fluid change or alignment or is this normal with some aftermarket clutches?

Also, I reside in San Jose, CA. So if anyone wanna come by and help me check it out feel free to PM or stuff

P.S. I am a car noob
Old 01-22-2010, 08:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe you might be talking about clutch buzz. Give it a search.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:55 PM

OOOH! Thank you!

So to confirm, by not replacing the clutch, the "clutch buzz" won't necessarily damage my car correct?
Old 01-22-2010, 10:58 PM

I don't believe so but don't hate me if something actually is wrong because their is really no way of me knowing. Plus you have an aftermarket clutch so I'm not really sure how those are with the s2k. Clutch buzz seems to be pretty common with our car though. Just search up clutch buzz some more and if you feel like that is the sound, then your car will be fine.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:03 PM

IMO, clutch buzz is very normal... it just so happens that it is EXTRA noticeable in an S2k because of the design.

As for the heavier steering feel... this car's steering is naturally heavier than your average hooptie. 18" wheels can only add to the heaviness.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:41 PM

Aye, thanks for all of your help biggrin.gif

Such a great board & community <3

Also, does the 2000 S2000 model come with timing chains or timing belts?

Thanks
Old 01-23-2010, 04:24 AM

Chains. But you have to keep an rtet on the chain guides. They are plastic and wear out.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:40 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

And no power steering fluid, either.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:22 AM
mlc

What you are discribing is the "clutch buzz" that most are talking about. The springs on the clutch plate will "buzz" or vibrate on deceleration between 4500 and 3000 RPM. It is normal and will not hurt the car.

The alignment has A LOT to do with how heavy the steering feels. You mention that the car needs a wheel alignment. Do that and see how the steering feels afterwards. You might want to look into the UK spec alignment, do a search, since you have an AP1.

The car has electric power steering so no fluid.

If you don't know the history of the car I would change all of the fluids oil, MTF and rear diff so you have a starting point.

And it would be a good idea if you took some time and read the stickied thread at the top of the page FAQ's, DIY's and Maintenance. There is a lot of good info there and it will answer most of your questions.

Kevin
Old 01-23-2010, 09:06 AM

It doesn't hurt the car, but it does make it sound like a poorly-built pos from GM in their darkest days...

I got tired of people asking me, "What's wrong with your car?" and changed the clutch disk at 35k miles. Unfortunately, the car was only drive about 7k miles per year so the defective clutch disk was replaced on my dime. Fortunately, I only had to replace the disk so it was a PITA but not too expensive.

Quick Reply: S2000 Coasting Deceleration Noise