S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

S2000 Clutch

Old 09-23-2008, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2000 Clutch

Hi All,

Ive had the car almost a month now and ive come across two issues that are starting to worry me. Im pretty novice when it comes to maintenance of this car so your advice would be much appreciated

Issue 1

I hadnt driven the car for about 2 days and so I decided to drive her to work yesterday. However i noticed when engaging the clutch it now started to a squeak.

It squeaks just after the biting point when engaging the clutch. In terms of driving and changing gear it felt ok however i noticed when i push the clutch down and change gear, sometimes i need to push the gear in harder and it feels like it has to click into gear (not very smooth). Before i bought the car the dealer told me he sent it for service and had the transmission oil changed.

The squeaking noise is really starting to get irritating now , ive read on these forums of what i could do, but i just dont feel comfortable about the squeaks so decided to seek some advise. The sound can be heard from outside the car aswell.

Issue 2

I was on a pretty steep hill and wntd to reverse, usually i would just find the bitting point and gradually apply gas. However i missed the biting point and there was a wall infront of me so the car started rolling forward. i quickly stepped on the gas and revved her a bit hard to 4-5k revs - found the biting point and reversed.

After i finally got off the hill i smelled this really musty smell, like as if plastic was burning, it was seriously strong and came right into the cabin. Is this me burning the clutch?

But now i seem to notice this weird plastic smell coming from the left side of the cars engine bay, i dont remember running over any plastic bags and im wondering if its the grounding wires connected to the battery that are burning up?

Sorry these questions seem a bit long and repetitive but i just wnt to make sure that if there is a slight indication of a problem then i will head to my local service shop to get it checked out.

Finally shes a 2003 which has only done approx. 22000++ km.

Thanks for your time.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:17 PM

Issue 1: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=370792

Issue 2: You probably just burned your clutch a bit. Smell will last a while but it doesnt mean its damaged. Just accelerated wear.

Im at 82,000 miles on the stock clutch and it still feels great. Many people have gone up 100,000 on the stock clutch so im pretty sure yours SHOULD be in good shape.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:22 PM

Sorry i shoulda checked the FAQ for the first issue however ive just been kinda paranoid.

Thanks i will look up on that and hopefully polish it up however, ive only driven 1000Ks on it and havent really abused it yet, plus its only done 22k KM. Could it really start squeking already?
Old 09-23-2008, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by tugsta,Sep 24 2008, 01:22 AM
Sorry i shoulda checked the FAQ for the first issue however ive just been kinda paranoid.

Thanks i will look up on that and hopefully polish it up however, ive only driven 1000Ks on it and havent really abused it yet, plus its only done 22k KM. Could it really start squeking already?
Squeaking isnt necessarily a bad thing. Its pretty common in lots of manual cars. Also put grease on the pushrod of the clutch master cylinder (the one connected to the clutch pedal). The thread explains why it squeaks. It isnt the clutch that squeaks, but the slave cylinder mounted on the tranny.

Mine squeeks too im just too lazy to go through all that
Old 09-23-2008, 10:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tugsta,Sep 23 2008, 07:22 PM

the less a car is driven sometime the more stuff that can go wrong. rubber has to get wet or it cracks, gas and oil have to be used or the go bad. ever left a car sitting for too long with the parking brake on?? it gets stuck. Low mileage is good, but sometimes it leads to some quirks. BTW my clutch pedal squeaks too.. it's no big deal, you saw the FAQ already i imagine. and yeah you were probably gunning the clutch.