S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

S2000 - Clock reset 1:00 & Air-conditioner not saving settings

Old 02-04-2016, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2000 - Clock reset 1:00 & Air-conditioner not saving settings

Hi Everyone!

Long time unregistered reader, but first time poster.

I am from Australia and I have a 2007 S2000 which I absolutely love!

I've just got a strange problem that I haven't been able to find a solution to:

As it is an AP2 it has a dash clock (Aus AP2's still have the AP1 engine, but that's beside the point) haha.

The car’s clock on the dash cluster resets to 1:00 each time the car is started. Further, the settings for the air conditioner also do not save. Meaning if I turn the car off with the a/c on or the that button that changes circulation from inside to outside, when I turn the car back on again it is all blank and I have to turn the a/c on again.

I have checked all fuses and I don’t think it is that. I think a backup wire to the dash was cut when the previous owner was putting in the after-market stereo. I thought I cured it with a fuse replacement, but if you leave the car off for 10mins it resets, so it is definitely a backup issue.

Can anyone help?!

Cheers!
S2K Lover.
Old 02-04-2016, 05:20 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Status of the battery? Checking ground points under hood and under dash. Loose fitting or frayed wiring.

Good luck!
Old 02-04-2016, 08:28 PM

Thanks Windhund. The battery and wiring seem ok to me. It never has any trouble starting.

I guess I can add a replacement battery and earth wiring to the list of possible solutions..
Old 02-05-2016, 02:53 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,233 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Does the clock maintain the correct time when switched Off, sits for a while, switched On -- but the Start button is not pressed? That is, does the clock reset when you start the car vs just switching the ignition on?

Does the radio need resetting with the code?

Heavy amperage draw from the starter motor can drop the battery voltage quite low. I "think" some circuits are switched off when the starter is activated. Perhaps someone will know.

-- Chuck
Old 02-05-2016, 10:23 AM

Received 1,398 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by aus2000red
I have checked all fuses and I don’t think it is that
I would be 100% certain.

With the key on, engine not running, back probe every single fuse in the car with a test light, and look for power on both sides.

If there are any fuses that don't react (this is normal as some may not be currently powered) then pull it out and physically check it.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Does the clock maintain the correct time when switched Off, sits for a while, switched On -- but the Start button is not pressed? That is, does the clock reset when you start the car vs just switching the ignition on?

Does the radio need resetting with the code?

Heavy amperage draw from the starter motor can drop the battery voltage quite low. I "think" some circuits are switched off when the starter is activated. Perhaps someone will know.

-- Chuck
Hi Chuck,

Thank you for your reply. Your suggestion was similar to a mechanic I spoke to, but unfortunately it still happens even if I don't start the car. The radio holds the stations, it is just the dash that has the problem

Any help you could offer would be most appreciated!

Cheers
Chris
Old 02-11-2016, 02:59 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,233 Likes on 1,077 Posts

1. What Bill said.

2. Back in the dim, dark days of the first PCs (computers) many problems were solved by removing every card from the buss, examining them as if something could be spotted, and reinserting them. The wiping of the contacts by the removal/insertion solved many connections. Same for fuses. Pull, check,insert cycle often cleans them too. I wish I had the electrical manual for the car but...

3. Measure the voltage at the battery after the car has been sitting overnight (12 hours is better) Should still be 12.7v DC. If it's much closer to 12.0 the battery is dying or something is sucking the life out of it overnight. Car may still start but some electronics may think the battery was disconnected. Put the battery on a "maintainer" overnight and see if the symptoms remain in the morning.

-- Chuck
Old 03-17-2016, 08:49 PM

For what it is worth everyone, this has been resolved

In short I've been meaning to sort out an Alarm / Immobilizer / Central locking issue I had, and when I finally sorted it out the clock came good. Something to do with the fuses. So some how the clock is linked to the internal immobilizer fuse.

Now my clock, alarm, immob, central locking and everything is working. Happy days!
Old 03-17-2016, 11:06 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Glad you got this fixed. Thanks, for reporting back.

Old 08-13-2016, 08:58 PM

this issue sounds so similar to mine also had an alarm installed but my cluster was replaced due to theft. care to elaborate on the fuse cause? my clock also keeps resetting to 1:00 a/c resets as well.

Quick Reply: S2000 - Clock reset 1:00 & Air-conditioner not saving settings