S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

S2000 Caught fire! :@

Old 02-15-2011, 03:29 AM

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,545 Posts

How'd you end up on the wrong side of the road, oh yeah that is England, lol. j/k

Good luck with the new part, hopefully they cleaned your engine bay or it will wreak of burnt oil for months.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Billman250,Feb 14 2011, 05:19 PM
15400-PCX-004 is highly recommended. Use a wrench, and tighten it.
What Bill said,

They should be using that filter. I bought the specific Honda oil filter wrench to tighten it up 7/8 of a turn past contact, or 24NM IIRC. It's written on the Honda filter

If they are using a generic filter for a Honda, and tightening it by hand then that will be why it's loosening.

Read this :

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...&#entry14414064

Also there is a UK S2KI community here:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showforum=25
Old 02-15-2011, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by buaan,Feb 15 2011, 05:37 AM
What Bill said,

They should be using that filter. I bought the specific Honda oil filter wrench to tighten it up 7/8 of a turn past contact, or 24NM IIRC. It's written on the Honda filter

If they are using a generic filter for a Honda, and tightening it by hand then that will be why it's loosening.

Read this :

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...&#entry14414064

Also there is a UK S2KI community here:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showforum=25
Hello aLL,

AND thanks for your comments,

Picked the car up this evening, had my new alloys fitted which I love had the recommended filter by you guys fitted, The mechanic mentioned he did not use a tool wrench and that he could do the filter up to 25NM by hand which is more than needed!

So I thought well if thats the case everything should be fine, He assured me that I should have no more problems.

Just been out to pick up a takeaway which was a 15min round trip and parked on the drive to see smoke coming out of the hood, AGAIN!!

So F**CKING pi55ed off now. Tomorrow im demanding the car to be taken to HONDA Dealer to be rectified and the garage to be invoiced!! I have had enough of this and its taken all the fun out of owning the car.

I searched the forum a couple of days ago to find a topic on a S2000 recall on the AP1's for the oil filter bolts?? I wondered what this was for and why the recall?

Could it also be that the oil has spewed out twice and that its still burning the oil off parts of the engine from previous times??

Many thanks
Old 02-15-2011, 11:30 AM

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,545 Posts

well yeah it would not be uncommon to see smoke with all of the oil the blew everywhere, I take it that they did not do a good job at cleaning it up. You should be able to tell the difference between oil that is dripping and burning off and a blown filter (if that is the case again). Open the hood and look at the filter with a flash light to see if it is defective. I bet you have lots of oil in the header and exhaust region causing the smoke, you should be able to tell where it's coming from.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by JFUSION,Feb 15 2011, 12:30 PM
well yeah it would not be uncommon to see smoke with all of the oil the blew everywhere, I take it that they did not do a good job at cleaning it up. You should be able to tell the difference between oil that is dripping and burning off and a blown filter (if that is the case again). Open the hood and look at the filter with a flash light to see if it is defective. I bet you have lots of oil in the header and exhaust region causing the smoke, you should be able to tell where it's coming from.
Hi and thanks for your help, Just had a look under the hood and the oil filter is dry, (no problems there it seems,) I can see oil on the underneath of the bonnet but I think this could be from the last time it blew.. Oil has gone every where twice!! and yes its been cleaned up but I think there are signs of oil around but no signs as to where it would appear from??

Maybe and I hope its just the previous oil burning, But I am concerned about how much smoke there was from such a short trip, and yet the garage had taken it on a long test run of which they never told me about there maybe signs of smoking...

Cheers
Old 02-15-2011, 01:04 PM

15400-PCX-004 $8.55 at Hardtopguy
Old 02-16-2011, 07:27 AM

You mentioned 'oil filter bolts?? ' These are oil sprayer bolts inside the engine and won't be related to the problem you are having. Use this list to check the recalls on your car:

http://www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/youandy...allsandupdates/

You cant do up the filter to 25NM by hand, trust me.

It is way tighter than you think,

I used a snap-on digital torque wrench when doing mine and it turns a fair bit past where I managed to get it hand tight, from below while on a ramp.

This is the tool I use, it only fits the S2000 specific large 15400-PCX-004 filter:

If you want one use the part number to buy one in the uk, or get one here :

http://www.hardtopguy.com/store/product.ph...&cat=147&page=1

I've had 2 dealers now offer me the smaller generic Honda filter, so make sure you get the PCX.

If the filter has no oil on it, then it might be oil residue burning off.

Where are you based?
Old 02-16-2011, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by buaan,Feb 16 2011, 11:27 AM
I've had 2 dealers now offer me the smaller generic Honda filter, so make sure you get the PCX.
^ This!

All Hondas (here in the US) use the same filter EXCEPT the S2000 which uses the PCX filter which is quite a bit larger. Make sure you get the correct filter.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:27 PM

Yeah Im done with oil filters with rubber seals. I replaced my Wix filter when I was changing my oil last year.. Put some fresh Amsoil and the new Wix filter. Began to drive off when I saw a trail of oil behind me. Pulled back into the driveway and popped the hood to find that all my new oil was pouring out from the oil filter. The old rubber gasket had gotten stuck and I installed the new one on right on top of it.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:42 PM

It would be nice to see a picture of the filter and compare it to a proper Honda filter made for your engine. I can't see your motor making too much oil pressure to cause that, we've seen a lot of different sized filters shoehorned onto these engines and this is what can happen...

Quick Reply: S2000 Caught fire! :@