S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

s2000 2008 heavy problems on track

Old 04-06-2018, 12:24 AM

Received 210 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by leon_83
Thanks guys for giving me some suggestions. I will try to answer all the suggestions of your posts. the car has Toda oil pan, plus ASM throttle body, and yes, the car ran with the fuel tank almost full (I do not think it was fuel starvation) and with one notch above min level oil. This is because reading some posts from Billsman, it was referred to the fact that the optimal level of oil is halfway between L and H. So before leaving to to on the track, I checked the level and I was halfway. Only after finding the problem I rechecked the level and it was a notch above the L (about 400 ml of oil were missing, after 2 track sessions and 400 km to get to the circuit) Only after finding the problem I rechecked the level and it was a notch above the L (about 400 ml of oil were missing, after 2 track sessions and 400 km to get to the circuit)
I do not think ( hope! ) there are some throttle body\DBW issues since there aren't no CEL\codes when i plug in the Flashpro.
Plus i also have TODA TCT brand new.
I'd also like to see that thread please. IT is OK if the level is a little blow the H mark on the stick however at the middle of that section I would definitely top it up and rather keep it at the H mark all the time especially if tracking hard like you are.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:43 AM

Received 452 Likes on 379 Posts

I've read it before as well, maybe a few times. Maybe with some slight modification from what OP seems to describe.
Here is one example https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un.../#post24160840
If you keep it in the middle you really need to make sure that it stays there, which means checking after each session.
Old 04-06-2018, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by flanders
I've read it before as well, maybe a few times. Maybe with some slight modification from what OP seems to describe.
If you keep it in the middle you really need to make sure that it stays there, which means checking after each session.
Thanks F.
Old 04-06-2018, 03:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flanders
thanks, I remembered reading this too. anyway ... I agree on the fact to keep an eye on the level if it is in the middle (and I repeat that when I left to go to the track I had topped an X over half) and only after the track session I realized it was dropped to a notch above L.
this because when I had the oil level always under the H, ALWAYS filled my old radium catch tank (double cans)
Old 04-06-2018, 05:25 AM

thanks, I remembered reading this too. anyway ... I agree on the fact to keep an eye on the level if it is in the middle (and I repeat that when I left to go to the track I had topped an X over half) and only after the track session I realized it was dropped to a notch above L.
this because when I had the oil level always under the H, ALWAYS filled my old radium catch tank (double cans)
That's a hell of a lot of oil being passed through the PCV and valve cover vent! Are you venting your valve cover to the radium can/s or just the PCV?
Old 04-06-2018, 05:45 AM

Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts

I feel like this is your problem
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-ra...ation-1133707/

Are you losing any oil after your runs or any reports of smoke screening at the track? If you are, a properly vented catch can setup along with this mod to your valve cover may help.
Also if you havent already, make sure your pcv valve is removed before running that port to your catch can.
Old 04-09-2018, 02:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problems with the large amount of oil in the canisters is with the radium system (double canisters with OEM style installation not open since the car with a open solution had vacuum problems and irregular idle).
now i have the j's oil\coolant combo, but no oil leaks from pcv.
I had the opportunity to read several discussions and ask to different friends (who often run with the S on the track, two NAs and one s \ c) ... and they think that they are problems of drafting fuel in the corners (since I was only happened in the fast left corners of the track). and they have solved with the surge tank....
now unfortunately I just have to do the various tests to see if they are problems of low oil level ... or pcv or fuel
Old 04-10-2018, 01:51 AM

The problems with the large amount of oil in the canisters is with the radium system (double canisters with OEM style installation not open since the car with a open solution had vacuum problems and irregular idle).
now i have the j's oil\coolant combo, but no oil leaks from pcv.
I had the opportunity to read several discussions and ask to different friends (who often run with the S on the track, two NAs and one s \ c) ... and they think that they are problems of drafting fuel in the corners (since I was only happened in the fast left corners of the track). and they have solved with the surge tank....
now unfortunately I just have to do the various tests to see if they are problems of low oil level ... or pcv or fuel
Can you describe what symptoms occurred during "irregular idle"? What exactly did it sound like?

Maybe your friends are right about a fuel surge tank solving your problem. Only one way to find out I'm afraid
Hopefully I don't need a surge tank when I take mine to the track...
Old 04-10-2018, 05:59 AM

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,085 Posts

The Billman link mentions that oil burns at a much higher rate when its at Full. While 3 diamonds up from L seems to be a sweet spot where it burns much slower.

That said, wouldn't it make sense to start off track sessions at F, and understand that it will burn faster at first, then as it approaches 3 diamonds it will burn at a slower rate? Its not going to burn faster at 3 diamonds if it started off at F vs if track session started at 3. 3 is 3.

What starting at F does do is give more total track time before oil level starts to get dangerously low.

The reason for Billmans suggestion is so you don't waste money on oil on the street, constantly topping off, and risking possible overfill which has its own severe risks. Track is totally different matter. Better to waste a few bucks on a bit of oil, and keep engine safe during high G corners.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
The Billman link mentions that oil burns at a much higher rate when its at Full. While 3 diamonds up from L seems to be a sweet spot where it burns much slower.

That said, wouldn't it make sense to start off track sessions at F, and understand that it will burn faster at first, then as it approaches 3 diamonds it will burn at a slower rate? Its not going to burn faster at 3 diamonds if it started off at F vs if track session started at 3. 3 is 3.

What starting at F does do is give more total track time before oil level starts to get dangerously low.

The reason for Billmans suggestion is so you don't waste money on oil on the street, constantly topping off, and risking possible overfill which has its own severe risks. Track is totally different matter. Better to waste a few bucks on a bit of oil, and keep engine safe during high G corners.
Yeah, good points. I'll keep this in mind when I hit the track.

Quick Reply: s2000 2008 heavy problems on track