S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

S started running really bad today

Old 08-06-2006, 10:01 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 701 Likes on 444 Posts
Default S started running really bad today

So this Saturday I took the S to the track for the first time. The car ran great, it has a Comptech supercharger with no aftercooler and I changed the spark plugs before I went with NGK v-power plugs as recommended by xviper. I've been running these plugs the past few months and just put in a new set.

So my problem is that Sunday after driving around for a good part of the day with no problems, I decided to do a quick run up to VTEC went to reline in first to 2nd then 3rd and shut it down. When I started to drive normally I noticed a stuttering in the car. I kept driving untill I could get to a good place to pull over. It seemed to randomly stutter and jerk. When I pulled over I scanned the ECU and only had my normal P0411 air pump code. So I reset the ECU to make sure that it wasn't confused for some reason.

After re-setting the ECU the car ran worse then ever. It could hardly idle, shaking like crazy and would stall after touching the gas. I turned it off and let it sit for a little while. I would have called a tow truck at this point but I forgot my cell phone and pay phone are few and far between these days.

I let the car sit for about 15 minutes or so then decided to start it up again. It idled ok and seemed better so I started home again. Same problem started again right away. I eventually made it home.

I pulled the plugs when I got home and they looked very black.

So I put the old plugs back in hoping it might fix the problem, but no such luck. Anyone have an idea of where I should start troubleshooting? I'm just guessing but maybe the fuel pump is starting to go?
Old 08-06-2006, 10:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know it's hard but unless you can get some really good camera lens to zoom in on the plugs it's hard to tell.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you get new wires also? if its a spark plug wire heres a way to test: turn the engine on. then unplug the wire from the engine and unplug slightly enough so you here a ticking sparking noise. if you here its fine. but if you dont here a ticking sound. its probably the wire
Old 08-07-2006, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by slover,Aug 6 2006, 11:28 PM
did you get new wires also? if its a spark plug wire heres a way to test: turn the engine on. then unplug the wire from the engine and unplug slightly enough so you here a ticking sparking noise. if you here its fine. but if you dont here a ticking sound. its probably the wire
The S2000 doesn't have spark plug wires.......
Old 08-07-2006, 04:08 AM

Old 08-07-2006, 05:10 AM
Ek9
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd do a compression check first thing. If they comes back OK, you probably didn't bend anything. I'd check the fuel pressure and make sure it's at least stock (43 PSI or so with the vacuum line disconnected). If those two things are OK then it indicates an ignition problem.

I'd put a new set of plugs in and see if the problem goes away.

I wouldn't start jumping to a fuel pump problem.,

Old 08-07-2006, 09:03 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Thanks guys. when I get home I will get a better pic of the spark plugs and run a compression test.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:32 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by slover,Aug 7 2006, 01:28 AM
Please don't answer any power steering fluid questions, K?
Old 08-09-2006, 07:20 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

haha yea it turned out that the power steering fluid was just low, how do you always know xviper

But really, the problem is resolved, It turned out to be my MAF sensor was loose. I should have done some better searching before posting.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:30 PM

Did you whack it?

Quick Reply: S started running really bad today