S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

S burning oil?!?!*updated*

Old 03-08-2007, 08:52 PM
G2k

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S burning oil?!?!*updated*

one month exactly i changed my first oil on the S. did the new washer, filter, and full syn. and couple days later filled the oil up to gauge. now a month later im down 3/4 of oil...tell me this is not normal????what should i be doing... ps i did but the a washer for an oem oil bolt on a magnetic one...not to worry, i park my car in my garage and have not seen any oil drops. what should i do?
Old 03-08-2007, 08:54 PM

the AP1's seem to burn alot of oil...you need yourself an APDeuce.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:54 PM

Krankvents!
Old 03-09-2007, 05:58 AM

Your post makes no sense at all. Are you saying you changed your oil, then a couple days later had to fill it back up? What do you mean by the car being "down 3/4". As in, it was down 3/4 quart of oil? Or that you had burnt 3/4s of the entire oil supply in the crank case?

With the car cold feel under the filter and make sure the underside of the filter isn't wet with oil. If you hand tightened the filter it may have come loose after driving the car and it will leak rather severely when you're on the road driving. What kind of synthetic oil did you use? I'm gonna guess it was Mobil1. Don't use that anymore, change brands and see if consumption goes down. Finally, update your profile with the model year of your car so that we can figure out what we're dealing with. Better grammar and sentence structure go a long way in helping us help you.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:02 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

yes, most ap1's do burn some oil. like stated above, make sure there are no leaks, before concluding that the engine is actually eating it up. my old ap1 went through a quart every 1k miles(spirited most of the time), ran very strong, never had any issues with it. moniter it for the next few months, if it gets worse over that time, you might want to think about doing a leak down or compression test.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by ENTHRALLED,Mar 9 2007, 12:54 AM
the AP1's seem to burn alot of oil...you need yourself an APDeuce.
its nice not having to buy a quart of oil every 2 weeks...
Old 03-09-2007, 06:11 AM

Wonder why ap2's do not burn oil, are they not the same engine with a little longer stroke?
Old 03-09-2007, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Jay2000,Mar 9 2007, 10:11 AM
Wonder why ap2's do not burn oil, are they not the same engine with a little longer stroke?
i seen on here before that it has something to do with the way the cylinders are honed on the ap2's.

also, i think it could have something to do with the 9k rpms and short stroke.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Jay2000,Mar 9 2007, 07:11 AM
I think this is a great question. I have a couple of pet theories on this, I can't back any of them up with more than pure conjecture at this point. Maybe a more experienced member could chime in with their knowledge of the internals of our engines.

1) The AP2 has a different PCV valve than the AP1, it is physically different from the AP1 valve. Whether or not it has been redesigned to function differently I'm not sure.

2) Like Fish22 mentioned, I've also seen rumors of the cylinder honing being different on AP2s. I've seen talk of the type and style of rings used for the AP2 being altogether different than the AP1. I can't verify any of this information, the only person that could would be someone who has AP1 and AP2 pistons/rings side by side to verify.

3) The early AP1 cars ('00-'01) had different ECUs than the '02+ models, these cars ran notoriously rich. I'm curious if this caused some cylinder wash down from excess gas that helps promote excessive bore wear, thus increasing oil consumption.

4) Last but not least, the oil jet bolts on Mid '02 cars and all '00-'01 cars are of a different design than the oil jet bolts that are now standard on '03+ models. I don't know if this has anything to do with oil consumption but it is a design concerning the oil supply system that was updated by Honda.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you do the oil change yourself? If so how much did you put it? Did you check the oil on a slope?

I "Read" on here the reason why AP2 burn less oil is because when they mill the bore in AP2, they mount a head and torque it down first to make the process even more precise. Not done on the AP1. I'm just recalling what someone else wrote. If this gets passed down a few times It might eventually end up like this.

"The reason why is because an alien from outerspace gave honda a magically head to mount when milling the bore"

Quick Reply: S burning oil?!?!*updated*