S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Runs like crap... Undrivable....

Old 12-28-2008, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Runs like crap... Undrivable....

I get out my driveway--100 yds--and it went from running perfect to missing and spitting. Misses at idle and at various throttle settings. If you baby the gas it will run without missing...

I'm getting the P0300 codes 01,02 and 1399.

So I do some reading on the site..

Replace plugs, adjust valves, wack-da-map, reset the ECU, injector cleaner and fresh gas.

While I was looking around I noticed that my header was cracked at the bracket so I tossed the stock one back on.

Fuel pump turns on. etc.... Didn't check the compression as my tester isn't operational. But I don't think the compression crapped out in an instant....

I get the feeling it is fuel related. Not spark.

After doing the valves I got 2 new codes P1361 and P1366. So what does the 2 TDC sensors on the back of the valve cover do?

Here is the dump from the code reader:

Recorded Data

MIL STATUS ON
ABSLT TPS % 5.0
ENG SPEED RPM 902
CALC LOAD % 26.6
MAP KPA 27
COOLANT
Old 12-28-2008, 02:40 PM

I also took a look at the valves with a borescope. Everything looks fine in the engine also...
Old 12-28-2008, 02:57 PM

If it went from PERFECT to crap that quick without you doing something to mess it up I would suggest running a bottle of HEET through it for water in the gas. Do you park outside? Has it been really wet?
Old 12-28-2008, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by $Piker' date='Dec 28 2008, 06:57 PM
If it went from PERFECT to crap that quick without you doing something to mess it up I would suggest running a bottle of HEET through it for water in the gas. Do you park outside? Has it been really wet?
I did park it outside the night before this happened. It does feel like water in the gas. I've "caught" that twice in in other cars when the gas station had issues with the tanks. So I know what that feels like. Can't hurt to try...
Old 12-28-2008, 04:04 PM

Def have to second the water in the gas theory! If all of a sudden it went from perfect to poop then it would have to be something to do with it. Fuel pressure is fine yeah?
Old 12-28-2008, 04:14 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Scott...long time, bud.

Spiker is right...you may have gotten some bad gasoline. Try getting rid of that first.

If that doesn't work, then see if you can find an s2k in good run order with an owner willing to let you swap coil packs for a day. See if that clears up the misfire codes. Replacing the coil packs is expensive too..about the same as the injectors.

Finally, if you changed the plugs, the coil packs and fresh gas doesn't clear things up, then you are left with the injectors. You might try having them cleaned first. That can temporarily take care of the injector issue, but those who have done it usually see the misfire return in 10k miles or so.

For the TDC codes...you probably just did not fully connect them when you put the valve cover back on...or abraded the wires. TDC = Top Dead Center...the sensors tell the ecu when the pistons are at top dead center for timing.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Scott. I can't add anything helpful to this thread, but wanted to wish you Happy Holidays!
Old 12-28-2008, 07:00 PM

Hey! A couple of voices from the past! Good to hear from both of you!! Happy Holiday's

I had 1/3 of a tank when this started. So "bad" gas isn't high on the likelihood list... But I will toss the Heet in and see. I have to get an adapter to check the fuel pressure and will also complete that tomorrow.

First post on this site in quite awhile. Nice to see some of the same faces still here! We'll have to catch up again soon...

Scott
Old 12-29-2008, 12:14 PM

Well that confused me for a sec.....

My name is also Scott and I have no idea who you guys are! HAHA
Old 12-30-2008, 09:24 AM

If you have the ability to read and clear fault codes. Find out the frequency of the misfire, if it is often swap out coil one with another coil, clear fault memory and drive the car. If the fault transfers to the other cylinder you have a bad coil.

Also bad gas is not at all out of the question.

You do seem to be running a little lean but nothing crazy as it's not affecting your long term fuel trims.

Inspect you coil connectors at the top and the crappy spring coil thing at the bottom....

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Quick Reply: Runs like crap... Undrivable....