S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Running too rich or too lean, how its effected

Old 02-13-2006, 09:54 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running too rich or too lean, how its effected

Ok every one... I'm kind of at a point where I'm not sure what to do... A while back when I was fairly stock with an intake and test pipe I dyno'd the car and got good numbers and then dyno tuned my VAFC according to the A/F rations we got and got great gains... We leaned it out to around an average of 13.6 A/F ratio (too lean?) and I was happy with that...

But since then, I have gotten a better intake, different test pipe and an exhaust. So what I wanted to know was if these mods I added will make the car run leaner or richer than before??? If it's leaner then I could be damaging the engine and if its running richer I dont mind because I need to retune it after I get all my bolt on's done. So if it is leaner I'm just going to add some fuel so I'm on the safe side and if it's running more rich then I dont care, I just dont which way I'm going right now... I know I need to re-tune but I want to know what to do until that point. Thanks guys
Old 02-13-2006, 11:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not just go back and get it dyno-tuned again? Thats the best way to do things, but if you're truely worried about running lean just add a few points across the board on your VAFC. Your new mods are probably causing you to run a bit leaner than before.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:35 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by kayvan_pour,Feb 13 2006, 10:54 AM
Ok every one... I'm kind of at a point where I'm not sure what to do... A while back when I was fairly stock with an intake and test pipe I dyno'd the car and got good numbers and then dyno tuned my VAFC according to the A/F rations we got and got great gains... We leaned it out to around an average of 13.6 A/F ratio (too lean?) and I was happy with that...

But since then, I have gotten a better intake, different test pipe and an exhaust. So what I wanted to know was if these mods I added will make the car run leaner or richer than before??? If it's leaner then I could be damaging the engine and if its running richer I dont mind because I need to retune it after I get all my bolt on's done. So if it is leaner I'm just going to add some fuel so I'm on the safe side and if it's running more rich then I dont care, I just dont which way I'm going right now... I know I need to re-tune but I want to know what to do until that point. Thanks guys
13:1 Air fuel ratio is pretty good for n/a cars. Make sure you don't have any crazy changes/spikes in air fuel and power. Which tuner did you go to in Houston if you don't mind me asking. There are a lot of idiot tuners in TX.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower,Feb 13 2006, 01:35 PM
13:1 Air fuel ratio is pretty good for n/a cars. Make sure you don't have any crazy changes/spikes in air fuel and power. Which tuner did you go to in Houston if you don't mind me asking. There are a lot of idiot tuners in TX.
I live in the bay area (california), how did you get houston?

I really didnt even go to a tuner though. it was just a dyno day and the guy just adjusted it based on a/f ratio's.. So 13.1 is a good a/f ratio? Is going to 14 over kill?

i really want to know if the mods i added make the car run richer or leaner. Any one know???
Old 02-13-2006, 12:54 PM

I'D GET IT RETUENED BRO. YOU'LL PIC UP POWER, AND YOU'LL BE ABLE TO SLEEP AT NITE! MY CAR IS TUNED 13.4:1 AFR. IT RUNS LIKE A CHAMP AND PULLS HARDER THAN I EVER COULD HAVE IMAGINED, WHILE BEING NA.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:05 PM
Banned

yea... i know thats the best idea... i just dont want to spring out $200 for tuning then get headers and have to tune it again... i'm stuck on what to do,
Old 02-13-2006, 01:21 PM

Simple solution, Get the header that you want and then go tune it. In the meantime just to be safe, adjust the settings a bit more conservatively if you're that worried about it.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:22 PM

I HEAR THAT. I'D JUST UNPLUG IT UNTIL YOU GET A HEADER THAN JUST RETUNE THE WHOLE SETUP.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Almostlude,Feb 13 2006, 02:21 PM
Simple solution, Get the header that you want and then go tune it. In the meantime just to be safe, adjust the settings a bit more conservatively if you're that worried about it.
thats what i think im going to do... thansk guys
Old 02-13-2006, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by kayvan_pour,Feb 13 2006, 04:47 PM
Is going to 14 over kill?
I think you are confused on what the A/F ratio means. The lower the number the richer (more gas) the car is. The higher the numer, the leaner (less gas) it is. Going to 14:1 seems to be going in the oposite direction from what you want.

You can't just "unplug" the VAFC, the car will not run properly unless you uninstall the whole thing and reconnect the air meter wires down by the ECU. You would be much better off just setting everything to zero across the board (this is the best option in my opinion since who knows how well your car is really tuned, let the ECU figure it out). After buying the header you want (and driving around for a few days with the VAFC zero'd out so the ECU can make any adjustments its going to make) go get it a good dyno-tune on it.

Quick Reply: Running too rich or too lean, how its effected