S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Running rough on approach to a stop

Old 04-15-2010, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Running rough on approach to a stop

I have an '03 S2k - 38xxx km's, completely stock, except for a new k&n air filter element. There are no check engine lights on or have ever been on to my knowledge.

The car feels great, runs strong on the highway, and around town. I did notice that sometimes in stop/go traffic (just in 1st - 2nd gear) or if approaching a stop sign and going down through the gears, when you are going maybe 10 km/h, and step on the clutch then brakes, the car returns to idol, but runs rough for a second, and then returns to a normal idle. It doesn't do it all the time, but its just annoying.

It has never stalled out completely, but if I give it a shot of gas the roughness goes away, and the car is responsive to rev up. Upon return to idle this time, it may run rough for a sec or two, or may just idle like normal. (its a 50/50 thing)

I am the 2nd owner, previously the car lived in the middle of town, and I dont think saw much highway driving at all. I thought maybe the injectors might have some dirt in them, so I through a bottle of injector cleaner into it - maybe helped a bit, but still problem is there.

I use fuel from Petro-Canada for the most part, 91 octane or higher.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know what I can do....

Thanks
Old 04-15-2010, 04:19 PM

This also happens to me, I have not figured out why though
Old 04-15-2010, 04:22 PM

I heard somewhere that MAP sensors had some issues for this year of the s2k, but a friend of mine who is an experienced honda mech. (not much experience with s2k though) said that if the MAP was faulty, it would set a code, and turn on the CEL.

But another person I talked to set that the computer needs to see the fault a couple times to set a code. Therefore if it only does it when you come to a stop, and only does it once and a while, it may never set a code.

A little frustrating...
Old 04-15-2010, 04:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Common problem.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:27 PM

Is there a fix?
Old 04-15-2010, 04:49 PM

Mine has been having the same problem. I've been workin at it all day today with no success. There is a few threads started on this subject though. This one has some pretty good ideas

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=780923
Old 04-15-2010, 05:25 PM

I've had the same problem in the past.

My fix --> Downshifting. It only seems to happen for me when I push the clutch in to early and the revs drift down from 2.5-3k. If you let the engine rev down to 1800 before pushing the clutch it doesn't seem to happen.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:25 PM

Interesting... A friend at hockey last night suggested cleaning out the intake, MAP sensor, and all that. In the post you sent me, someone suggested doing the same.

Maybe thats the answer?
Old 04-15-2010, 05:29 PM

yes, I've noticed that too, maybe its running (rich or lean - not sure which) in anycase the lack of load on the engine by depressing the clutch causes the mixture to go out of wack, causing the rough idle

make sense?
Old 04-15-2010, 05:46 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

I cleaned out my map sensor, the manifold passage hole for the map sensor, throttle body, and the Idle Air control valve using various cleaning fluids. My idle is now rock solid, it doesn't drop or fluctuate anymore like it used to in situations like you describe. I don't know which one made the most difference as I did them all at the same time, but the change is dramatic.

Quick Reply: Running rough on approach to a stop