S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

running codes and a split harness

Old 05-24-2011, 06:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default running codes and a split harness

less than 2 weeks ago i got my radiator replaced by a paint and body shop bc my car was in an accident early this year.. before i gave them the car i had no codes.. only the maintenance reqd light. got my car back a few days later and now im running a check engine light with maintenance light.

fast forward to yesterday.. im leaving work around noon and noticed my car is idling really low... as i drive and make a stop.. right when my car makes a stop the idle would go down to one bar and itd give me a light thud noise as if the engines about to die..

as im driving down us17.. still get the low idle when i stop.. but now my EPS light is flickering. i managed to stop at the gate station and right when i did the EPS light is fully on.. now i have no power steering. now after looking through the bay, i went to turn off the a/c and then EPS light turns off... when i turn the a/c back on the EPS light turns back on... am i crazy?

So since i was on us17.. i wasnt too far from the honda on cassat blvd... im driving with no power steering.. and all of a sudden my dash lights go out.. everything out. on top of that, as im going down cassat blvd. i can see the numbers not lit.. saying im going 35-40 mph but im really going at least 15 at the time... weird?

got to honda.. the guy was no help.. at all.. i guess cause he was waiting to goto lunch.. he wanted to check out the car and wanted to start it.. but then it wouldnt start.. he's telling me you might have a dead battery.. he goes to charge it.. the EPS light is off.. and was on my way.. not even when i left their parking light the EPS light comes back on...wtffffff... so as i left i get on cassat and noticed the car does not even rev more than 1.5rpms..wtffff..so im on cassat goin 1.5 rpms lol and then my car starts hacking.. making a hacking noise as im goin down the street so i pulled off.

i actually got my car towed to my house and went to look at it even more..

..first we took the battery to advanced to see if its gone bad.. i havent even had the battery for a year. he couldnt test it bc there wasnt enough voltage so he said he'd charge it in the back.. he charged it.. took it back home.. and the car started.. no EPS light.. drove it for a bit.. then took it back to advanced to get an alternator test and check engine light reading.. did not get an alternator test bc he said the first step is to check the battery and said the alternator could be bad and your probably running all battery... ok...?

then we went ahead and looked at the check engine light and he found 3 codes..

P1298 (Manf. Control Fuel Air Metering)
P0135 02 SEnsor Heater Circuit Malfunction Bank 1 Sensor 1
P0141 02 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction Bank 1 Sensor 2

i also noticed after looking at the engine bay that there was a wire harness that was cut open by one of the belts and opened up some wiring.. but not completely cutting it.. im seeing this as a major issue as well.. if im correct.. the wire harness was not even connected and looked to be a piece that connects to a part of the intake.

any help is appreciated.. would like to get it fixed and back on the road.. cause after this is a maintenance job.

thanks in advance.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:23 PM

ttt
Old 06-01-2011, 03:31 PM

As with anything else, don't try to solve all problems at once. Start someplace, diagnose and fix one problem at a time.

If a wiring harness was cut, that can cause all sorts of problems - or damage. Sort that out first.

Then confirm that the battery is good, then test the alternator. Do it yourself with a volt meter or have it tested at a local shop. Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought your post said that the "advanced" guy charged the battery but then said the alternator couldn't be tested until the battery was tested??? Sounds like you need to find someone that understands charging systems.

Once you've cleaned up the wiring and confirmed that battery and alternator are good, I'd suggest re-bleeding the cooling system (several DIYs on this site) since that was the most recent thing that was done and bleeding the cooling system properly is critical.

Once charging and cooling systems are operating properly, determine what problems remain and start after them.