S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Running Bad...Can't seem to figure this one out

Old 05-25-2012, 08:59 AM

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MR.T
There are ways to check O2's with a simple volt meter. Just YouTube "diagnosing O2 sensors"

You could get an infrared temp gauge and measure at your upper and lower rad hoses. This will help diagnose wether you have a bad t stat or just a bad temp sensor. Personally, I'd track the temp problem down first.
I wonder if your O2's aren't simply heating up enough if your car's not reaching temp. Does your fan kick on if you let it idle for awhile?

Come to think of it, I'm not sure the fan is kicking on. I'll have to check on that later. I went ahead and ordered a new thermostat since they're cheap. I'll be replacing that tonight to see if that helps with anything. Doesn't hurt to have a new one about now anyway.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who did the valve adjustment. Instead of taking it back to the mechanic check the valve clearances make sure none are tight. Possibly the coilpacks, I've heard of that problem not with our cars but VW's.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Competitor9
Who did the valve adjustment. Instead of taking it back to the mechanic check the valve clearances make sure none are tight. Possibly the coilpacks, I've heard of that problem not with our cars but VW's.

I did the valve job. It's my third one on this car so I'm fairly certain everything is just right as I triple check everything before I button it up. I usually do everything myself. I only took it to my mechanic because I wasn't making progress with the normal approaches and I don't have any serious diagnosing tools aside from a voltmeter and my code reader. He mentioned the coil packs were good and also compression was good and even through all four cylinders.

I'll be replacing the thermostat and flushing the coolant this weekend sometime. We'll see if that does anything for the temps.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:24 PM

Did you do a leak down test? I always was told to do the compression and leak down as a package deal. Getting away from the temp problem whatever is going on seems to be air/fuel related since your car is bogging down and basically running poorly. If it was me I would just go down the line, literally fuel pump, fuel line/filter, fuel rail, injectors (I know you already did the injectors). Air filter, throttle body, tpc, map, iac valve, and you've done most of that. Whatever came of you checking on the O2 sensor? If your O2 sensor is malfunctioning and giving bad readouts to the ecu it would make the car run sporadically.

It's nice to do the valve job yourself, saving a decent amount of money and a huge headache at the dealer
Old 05-26-2012, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can get a hold of a code reader that will also show live data I would look at short and long term fuel trim, and the front o2. If the motor has either a vacuum leak, or maybe a bad front o2 sensor the ecu can add fuel in response. This will cause a poor running engine along with a rich exhaust smell. Just an idea...
Old 05-26-2012, 10:54 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Do the coolant problem first. Make sure Youndo the thermostat the same as the fan switch so the fan wk kick on on the same time.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:28 AM

I did the thermostat replacement yesterday. It seems to have fixed the temp issue as it's getting up to temp now and the fan is kicking on as it is suppose to. The car is running fine so far. Not sure if that had affected anything else. We'll see what happens over the next day or two. I'll have my mechanic check the O2 readings and fuel trim after the holiday.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:17 PM

I was asked for an update on this. Sorry I forgot to get back. The car ran fine for a few days and started acting up again. No codes, just very late throttle response. I ended up taking it to a trusted Honda mechanic last month. It's been there for a month so far and he's still troubleshooting it. He's replaced an 02 sensor and is doing other diagnostics. I haven't be updated with any details beyond that. I'll be sure to post the solution if we end up finding it (crossing my fingers)
Old 08-07-2012, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great thanx for responding and updating this thread cyclon36. Hope he figure it out as well. If I find anything new, I'll post it up here.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:47 PM

have you tried swapping coilpacks from another car?? just throwing idea out there,

Quick Reply: Running Bad...Can't seem to figure this one out